Author Topic: New Golf GTI Owner, mk7 in tornado red  (Read 2642 times)

Offline danielwhitt

• Not said much yet
  • Golf GTi 2014 Tornado Red, Manual, Virtual Cockpit
New Golf GTI Owner, mk7 in tornado red
« on: 04 October 2022, 11:37 »
Hi everyone

Just bought our new (to us) mk7 golf GTI in tornado red
Completely standard and with a manual gearbox
I say standard, apart from its had a virtual cockpit and upgraded stereo from a mk7.5
wa have owned an Octavia Vrs diesel before and fancied a change, so to speak  :grin:
just thought id say hello and post a few photos of it, once it was cleaned after it was picked up from the dealer, because they said itr was cleaned and all the did was polish over tar spots  :cry:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: New Golf GTI Owner, mk7 in tornado red
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2022, 15:08 »
Looks great! Wecome to the forum :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2022, 15:36 »
 :cool: welcome.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2022, 17:03 »
Very neat
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2022, 18:01 »
Welcome Daniel, classic GTI recipe being a red 3 door manual  :cool:
The interior upgrades are a nice touch.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline danielwhitt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2022, 23:27 »
Yeah, it's a lovely car, and looks well in red. The only thing we're not Keen on are the alloys, we wanted the Santiago alloys, but this had everything but them, so we're on the hunt for those next. Oh, aswell as being remapped because my Octavia diesel was faster than this so we can't be having that 🤣👍
« Last Edit: 04 October 2022, 23:29 by danielwhitt »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2022, 18:38 »
The Santiagos would be a nice finishing touch. Lovely looking wheels. Watts ^^^^ ran a red mk7 3 door in that spec.
Be aware of their tendency to discolour as they’re polished on their faces. Mind you they look great refinished in grey or shadow chrome.
Oh, and they’re fiddly to clean.
And buckles aren’t unheard of.

Whilst we are on the ‘beware’ subject, the clutches on the manuals aren’t great on remapped cars. Budget for a replacement if you do modify the ECU.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2022, 19:13 »
The Santiagos would be a nice finishing touch. Lovely looking wheels. Watts ^^^^ ran a red mk7 3 door in that spec.
Be aware of their tendency to discolour as they’re polished on their faces. Mind you they look great refinished in grey or shadow chrome.

I had two of mine with a slight buckle, pot hole damage. They ran okay but definitely to be wary of buying secondhand. And yes, a massive PITA to keep clean. Personally I'd avoid them and get something new.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline danielwhitt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2022, 12:54 »

Whilst we are on the ‘beware’ subject, the clutches on the manuals aren’t great on remapped cars. Budget for a replacement if you do modify the ECU.

I've already been looking at an organic clutch, I've been looking at a helix clutch with billet cover ? They are meant to be close to stock feeling and hold alot more power.
Hopefully we will get this done prior to the remap or will at least done at the same time..
Regards the alloys, if they are anything like the 19s I put on my Octavia vrs, the ride quality wasn't great either so I'm guessing the ride quality will suffer too. To be honest, the longer I keep looking at the alloys, I don't mind them as much as I first thought, so may wait on the alloys unless something turns up I can pass on.

So far so good with the car, the only thing I've notice is the car cocks it's leg when it gets off the drive as it's at an awkward angle, so guessing the car is very rigid and doesnt flex too much.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2022, 12:57 by danielwhitt »

Offline danielwhitt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2022, 12:58 »

I've already been looking at an organic clutch, I've been looking at a helix clutch with billet cover ? They are meant to be close to stock feeling and hold alot more power.
Hopefully we will get this done prior to the remap or will at least done at the same time..
Regards the alloys, if they are anything like the 19s I put on my Octavia vrs, the ride quality wasn't great either so I'm guessing the ride quality will suffer too. To be honest, the longer I keep looking at the alloys, I don't mind them as much as I first thought, so may wait on the alloys unless something turns up I can pass on.

So far so good with the car, the only thing I've notice is the car cocks it's leg when it gets off the drive as it's at an awkward angle, so guessing the car is very rigid and doesnt flex too much.