Author Topic: Golf R in the flesh  (Read 17796 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Golf R in the flesh
« Reply #50 on: 09 February 2021, 18:07 »
Can't you hop on the ferry and come and buy one in Liverpool (when the current situation has improved obviously...)?!

No, not that simple I'm afraid. You'd have to pay a very hefty tax on importing it (VRT - Vehicle Registration Tax).

Used UK imports have been very popular here, especially in recent years, but changes to the import tax / VAT, etc following Brexit has also made that very expensive and has possibly killed off used UK importing here.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 09 February 2021, 18:11 »
You guys in the UK don't realise how good you have it.

Here in Ireland, the GTI CS is 52.5k. The R is another 11k. Spec either of those up and you're into pretty crazy money. Oh to have the 40k "luxury car tax" problem!

Discounts here are small. You'll need to deal directly with individual main dealers. If you manage a discount of 2.5 - 3k you'd be doing well. There's no concept of a "broker" here in the car buying game. I guess our market is much too small for a Carwow type of model.

Road tax - the CS just about sneaks into €420 per annum. The R is €600 p/a. If you're feeling flush, a Tiguan R costs €2,400 p/a to tax.

On the plus side, I think our finance rates and deposit contributions tend to be better than you guys typically get. The GTI / R is currently at 1.9% APR. It has been available at 0% on and off in the past.

How does the price of the Performance Golfs compare with something like a top spec ID3?

Over here the range topping ID3 is about £3k more than a Golf R.

Thats interesting. Just looking now and the top spec ID3 is €42K on the road (after grants/rebates). So its significantly cheaper than it's petrol powered cousins! Essentially, our current taxation system is very heavily penalising ICE cars, particularly performance petrols.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #52 on: 09 February 2021, 18:14 »
Yes for all of the UK government banging on about carbon dioxide and green this that and the other they so far have tried to avoid the backlash from the motor trade...

If they had actually wanted to see change they should have taxed one and subsidised the other heavily. Make it either too expensive one way or so staggeringly cheap the other.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 09 February 2021, 18:48 »
And you still get the luxury tax on EV/hybrid cars over £40k. So they are hardly enticing people to go green or than the company car drivers/directors.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #54 on: 09 February 2021, 19:32 »
And you still get the luxury tax on EV/hybrid cars over £40k. So they are hardly enticing people to go green or than the company car drivers/directors.
you don't pay luxury tax on fully Electric cars.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 10 February 2021, 06:58 »
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 10 February 2021, 08:01 »
you don't pay luxury tax on fully Electric cars.

As above, you don’t pay any VED on full electric no matter what price they are. And if below a certain value the plug in car grant reduces the list price by £3k.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #57 on: 10 February 2021, 15:15 »
Full Monty on that Black R .... Looks pretty ....
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 10 February 2021, 15:36 »
Full Monty on that Black R .... Looks pretty ....

Looks very stealth-like. I wouldn’t buy a black one though - I’ve owned more than my fair share of black cars and with my car OCD, they’re too much like hard work to keep them looking good.

I’m not normally a fan of black wheels, but those black Estoril alloys look the business :cool:, and no issues with white worm either.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #59 on: 10 February 2021, 15:42 »
Wow, the all black R looks proper badass!

We have full Stormtrooper white on the previous page and now Darth Vader spec!

Be interesting to see what the UK take up of R colours will be considering the huge colour palette available  :rolleyes:
Can see it being mostly a split of white for the company car benefit lease brigade and blue for the £50k R Home Counties set.
Maybe a few 1st division footballers will make up the deficit in Pearl black orders but they’ll only get them wrapped in lurid colours anyway...  :laugh:

How the hell is anyone even able to afford a sporty Golf in Ireland with those horrific car taxes?
Kind of makes the £475 a year ‘luxury tax’ look like peanuts.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner