Author Topic: Tyre Pressure Monitors  (Read 7346 times)

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
Tyre Pressure Monitors
« on: 16 August 2009, 22:23 »
Here's a thing:

You spec the Tyre Pressure Monitoring option, so you get a little light up if you are low on air...but what happens if you change the wheels to something aftermarket?

Does the light come on if it's not getting a signal?
Or remain out?
Or do you need to fit the factory supplied Monitor/valves to keep the system happy?

Basically I suppose I'm asking, if you want to fit aftermarket wheels at any time in the future, shouls you avoid a car fitted with the Tyre Pressure Monitoring option?

Anyone know?

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
Re: Tyre Pressure Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2009, 22:46 »
How much does this option cost?
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2009, 22:52 »
£35
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2009, 22:54 »
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2009, 07:20 »
Its not that sophisticated.  It just uses the ABS sensors to monitor rotational speed and uses this (badly) to deduce whether you have a punture or not.  Its only £35 so worth a punt but don't expect it to be that good.

Since there is no hardware in the wheel, you can have whatever you want.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2009, 08:18 »
For one it was standard on the MKV Gti and R32. Yes 35 quid isnt much but its useless. I have had two punctures in my R32 and not once did it pick it up, even when the wheel was rolling and almost flat. Save your 35 quid for some fuel.
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2009, 20:34 »
Its not that sophisticated.  It just uses the ABS sensors to monitor rotational speed and uses this (badly) to deduce whether you have a punture or not.  Its only £35 so worth a punt but don't expect it to be that good.

In that case £35 is a bit steep for a little bit of software...

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2009, 21:07 »

In that case £35 is a bit steep for a little bit of software...

True, but it should be easily negotiated in as a freebie.  Its an extra button to look nice at night if nothing else  :grin:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2009, 22:46 »
except the button is located in the glove box that nobody can see!!
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2009, 22:51 »
What's this?

So it's not automatic?
Or what's the button for, if not to make it check the pressures?

I'm confused. Can anyone clarify?

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.