Author Topic: iMotor review Mk6 Gti v Focus RS v Megane R26  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
iMotor review Mk6 Gti v Focus RS v Megane R26
« on: 13 August 2009, 12:18 »
Good review with video, feedback from the public and engine notes of all 3 cars. Megane sounds the best though.

http://issue.imotormag.co.uk/car-news-car-reviews.-car-videos-cool-stuff-sfw/1N4a72c13dd0bdf012.cde/page/18

GTi wins again :cool:
Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
Re: iMotor review Mk6 Gti v Focus RS v Megane R26
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2009, 12:24 »
lol... my toothbrush sounds lke the Gti :grin:

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2009, 22:58 »

lol - really hits the nail on the head!

all the reasons why i'm getting the golf, its quick enough, decent enough handling, but has quality, practicality and image :)

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2009, 23:27 »
I thought that the RS sounded like a wet fart.

Not that I've done many of them, well, ever since around my 8th birthday I havent   :grin:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2009, 00:26 »

is the boot release on the key fob a standard feature?  and does the boot actually open all the way upon pressing (as opposed to just releasing the catch and being slightly ajar).  this was one of my fave features on my old BM, made looking for the car in a car park dead easy since it would "put its hand up"!!   :wink:

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2009, 01:21 »
Golf GTI is the least fun to drive. VW really dont put enough effort into this side of their cars imo. For me it's the most important thing about a car.

The Golf scores on looks and quality. The Ford looks a bit too bulky and imo has too much power. it also has a Ford badge which is a bit plain.

The Renault is the best to drive it's just a shame it's an unreliable Renault. I think though if I was given the choice of taking one of them and driving the entire length of the UK on B-roads I'd go for the Renault because it would be a thrilling experience, whereas if I took the Golf I'd always be wondering how much better that last corner would have felt in the Renault or the Ford.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2009, 01:35 by Wurzel »
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2009, 08:59 »

is the boot release on the key fob a standard feature?  and does the boot actually open all the way upon pressing (as opposed to just releasing the catch and being slightly ajar).  this was one of my fave features on my old BM, made looking for the car in a car park dead easy since it would "put its hand up"!!   :wink:

I think its a standard feature as mine has it on the key remote. And no, the boot does not go up at all when the boot release button is depressed, it only releases the catch...
« Last Edit: 17 August 2009, 14:52 by howlingmoon »
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2009, 14:11 »

Bit off the original topic but here's a link to another forum showing how to achieve full hatch pop on a Mk5. I'm assuming the Mk6 is basically the same.
Golf R

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2009, 21:14 »
cheers Mac 7.  seems like a little too much work for now though...

i guess with a hatch back a full hatch pop is too dangerous as it is bigger than a saloon.  i.e. risk hitting car park roofs!