Author Topic: Mk6 gti owners please help with my guilty conscience  (Read 5946 times)

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
Are you all running in your cars in as per the book ?,or are you like me getting a little over excited and putting your foot down occasionally ?.Sorry can`t help myself  :undecided: :evil:
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Re: Mk6 gti owners please help with my guilty conscience
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2009, 14:50 »
LMAO :) I'm ashamed to admit that for the first time in nearly 30 years of driving I am NOT respecting the run-in period, either. I'm not caning the car deliberately, but the noise is just intoxicating when you floor the throttle and after 20 odd years of diesels, I just can't resist  :drool:

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2009, 15:06 »
What is the running in policy ?

When I had my Clio 182 I did a fair bit of reading up and the consensus was to ignore the manufacturers running in policy.

The new theory was to cane it for first 500 miles taking car on short and hard accelerating trips followed by a cooling period and then repeated. Apparently this enables the pistons to 'bed in'.

Then after 1000 miles change the engine oil.

I did this with my 182 and after a few thousand miles it was flying and never used any oil.

Sold it to a race track in the end for performance track days.
Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2009, 15:34 »
this has been covered a million times... yet no conclusion is ever reached!! (see mk5 board for details)

The only thing that everyone agreed on was that you should ensure your engine is well up to running temp before you decide to put the pedal to the metal :wink: :smiley:

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2009, 15:38 »

ITS LIKE HAVING KELLY BROOK FOR A NEW GIRLFRIEND AND HER DAD SAYING"NO SEX BEFORE MARRIAGE" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2009, 16:20 »
you should ensure your engine is well up to running temp before you decide to put the pedal to the metal :wink: :smiley:

I don't know if the MkV has this feature, but the multi-funtion display thingy has a nice Oil Temp reading.

Offline Kermit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2009, 16:50 »
you should ensure your engine is well up to running temp before you decide to put the pedal to the metal :wink: :smiley:

I don't know if the MkV has this feature, but the multi-funtion display thingy has a nice Oil Temp reading.

Who cares about oil temp reading - my temp reading just gone through the roof looking at that Kelly Brook pic  :drool: :grin:
2007 GTI, Steel Grey, DSG with Paddle, Leather, 18" Monza, Xenons, Lux and Winter Pack, iPod, Tints

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2009, 17:22 »

I would just say make sure you have been driving it for atleast 20-30mins to make sure :smiley:

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2009, 17:39 »
Oil temp seems to get to about 100 c after 5 to 10 mins normal driving then pretty much stays there,i tend to go for a drive of about 35 miles and take it easy for the first 25 miles,then give it abit on the way back home,its a second car so its not being used for everyday travel its only got about 350 miles on the clock at the moment and i`ve had it 3 weeks :laugh: :laugh:

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2009, 16:27 »
How can you not put your foot down with all that lovely oozing power under your bonnet?  It's like saying to a toddler don't run cos you might fall down.   This car was made for speed and to be honest engines are great these days, I was told just to go out and drive!! and that is what I've been doing - god I love this car - so many people stop and look to see what's just whizzed past.  It is the best feeling. :laugh: :grin:  Just as MacDonalds says "I'm loving it"  lol
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.