Author Topic: DAB radio  (Read 9850 times)

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Re: DAB radio
« Reply #10 on: 09 July 2009, 16:55 »
So far as I know it's the other way round.  DAB does not have widespread coverage yet (as far as I gather) but is going to be standard.  FM is going to be switched off.  2015 has been mentioned in that context.

Rolfe.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 09 July 2009, 17:51 »
Is DAB not about to become obsolete?  Personally I wouldn't bother and would stick to FM

I read back along that they were changing the DAB signal and that many DAB recievers wouldn't be able to get the new signal. Yesterday I read on the BBC that FM is going.
Who the hell knows? Depends what backhanders the beaurocrats get from whom I guess..... :lipsrsealed:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 July 2009, 18:41 »
Just take your t.v as a example,soon analogue will be no more,radio will go the same way.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Mighty_G

• Not said much yet
  • Tornado Red MK6 3 Door, 18 inch rims, AAC, RCD510
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2009, 20:01 »
I had my new car delivered yesterday which has the RCD 510 and DAB option.

I've had DAB in my cars for last 3 years and wouldn't be without it (as there are more stations to choose from and reception is better quality than FM and a lot better than MW / LW. Obviously though you need to check what coverage you will have in your area.

VW told me that by having DAB then the multimedia interface (ipod connector) wouldn't work, all I can say is it does  :huh: :huh:

Also got the Dynaudio upgrade so not sure if thats got something to do with it.

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 09 July 2009, 20:04 »
I ordered dyneo audio too,is it any good,do you get fancy badges on the speakers ?
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #15 on: 09 July 2009, 20:19 »
I ordered dyneo audio too,is it any good,do you get fancy badges on the speakers ?

They are very good Simon, yep you get the branding on the speaker grills.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 July 2009, 20:25 »
Do you get FM as well as DAB?  This is confusing me.  I can't get DAB at all in my house.  So what's it like right out on the moors or in the mountains?  And if you find yourself somewhere without a DAB signal, are you screwed?

Rolfe.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2009, 20:29 »
The DAB is additional to the FM and AM stations. DON'T PANIC!!!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2009, 20:37 »
Oh, I'm not panicking, because I haven't ordered it!  I can see that I might want it in a few years though.  Shades of having to fit a new radio in my 1965 Fiesta when they killed the Radio 3 MW signal.

Rolfe.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2009, 20:39 »
For what it costs and considering you haven't gone for a radio upgrade I would want it personally. Not too late to change your mind........ :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner