Author Topic: DAB radio  (Read 9851 times)

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
DAB radio
« on: 09 July 2009, 00:44 »
Anybody got the DAB radio?  How does it compare?  What's the coverage like?

I didn't even consider it because I can't even get a DAB signal in the house, so I don't have a lot of confidence that I'd get a reliable signal on the road.  And I've heard that the digital system isn't as good in the car as FM analogue anyway.

But they might switch off the analogue FM signal in 2015, which will be in the lifetimes of our new cars.

I remember when cars just came with LW and MW.  Mono.  At midnight, regular as clockwork, Radio 3 would be overwhelmed by another station - I can still hear the call sign.  I'm told it was Radio Albania.  Those of us who had older cars when they switched off the medium wave signals had to have new FM radios fitted.

Could be heading for a repeat performance with DAB.

Rolfe.

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
Re: DAB radio
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2009, 07:44 »
I think if you choose the DAB radio then you cannot have the MDI.  DAB would be good but its not as good as being able to plug an ipod in.  I think if you choose the DAB option on the VW configurator page it will tell you.  I would check to confirm but I cannot get on the VW site.
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2009, 13:17 »
I think if you choose the DAB radio then you cannot have the MDI.  DAB would be good but its not as good as being able to plug an ipod in.  I think if you choose the DAB option on the VW configurator page it will tell you.  I would check to confirm but I cannot get on the VW site.

That's correct.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2009, 15:05 »
I think the way I look at it when I place my order I'll still choose the DAB add-on, as with the RCD510 you get a mem card slot, so its basically the same as an iPod anyway, fill a 2gb or so mem card with songs and play them directly from the card in the same way as the iPod would work.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2009, 15:24 »
So what's the DAB coverage like, out there on the open road?  I seriously have no idea.  Or does the radio have an FM receiver as well, as backup?

I get the memory stick bit, but how well does that compare to having your iPod's menu accessible?

Rolfe.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2009, 15:46 »
So what's the DAB coverage like, out there on the open road?  I seriously have no idea.  Or does the radio have an FM receiver as well, as backup?

I get the memory stick bit, but how well does that compare to having your iPod's menu accessible?

Rolfe.

I've no idea either on coverage.  :sad:

I think regardless of the ipod menu, your songs are scrollable and selectable through the touchscreen of the RCD510 and also through the steering wheel for when your driving. I'd hate to be driving along at 100+ with one hand on the wheel, the other on the ipod and your eyes looking at your scroll wheel  :grin:

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2009, 15:50 »
I don't actually know how it works, but somehow you get the iPod's menu on the main console if you use the special connector you can buy from the dealer.  At least, that's what the first dealer I spoke to told me.

Rolfe.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2009, 15:58 »
I don't actually know how it works, but somehow you get the iPod's menu on the main console if you use the special connector you can buy from the dealer.  At least, that's what the first dealer I spoke to told me.

Rolfe.

Yeah Rolfe, when you plug the iPod up, you then get a list of the ipods songs on the screen of the RCD510, you just scroll through and press the one you like, or of course, use the steering wheel to do it when your driving. I think the MDI comes as standard with the RCD510, you dont get it with the RCD310 I believe.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2009, 16:09 »
Rolfe, this may help.

This is the RCD510 using mem card... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WFdZxX0zbM

This is the RCD510 with iPod... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MuUL2-JY8U

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2009, 16:49 »
Is DAB not about to become obsolete?  Personally I wouldn't bother and would stick to FM
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"