Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2787123 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1530 on: 21 December 2014, 10:37 »
Well, it's now been a week and a half sans GTI whilst it has a new front bumper having been reversed into.
After the initial fury it has been more irony that the only car I've ever had with a frontal collision protection system is the only one I've had frontal damage inflicted on it (albeit it being parked up and getting backed into).
The delay has been getting the radar renewed and recalibrated.

Whilst it's been gone I've had the 'joy' of a Corsa loan car which to be honest is crap.
It provides a means of transport and handles well enough but that's it. Everything else about it sums up modern throw away cars, the controls are cheap, the engine has no mid range whatsoever thanks to stupid ineffective emissions laws which just mean that small cars need 16v engines so that their emissions are low on a test rig but out in the big bad world you have to thrash the guts out of it just to get it to move.

The one thing the Corsa has reminded me of though is that the Golf has become very heavy and the Corsa can actually be more fun to drive so long as you don't need any sort of speed (ok, it goes ok downhill). Now I'm suddenly fancying a new Polo GTI in Mayan Blue to thrash around in for 12 months or so - it'd probably cost about the same as my GTI is worth, (brokers are knocking them out for about £16k already) and is a proper GTI; big engine, manual gearbox and doesn't weigh much (unlike the in vogue Golf R in the weight stakes) plus its torque peaks nice and early meaning it should be a very flexible friend.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1531 on: 21 December 2014, 12:43 »
Exonian - which brokers are knocking them out for £16k? My missus needs to learn to drive in the new year as her works is handily on the way to mine and we work compatible hours. I'm getting made redundant in June, and assuming I don't get a job at her place (it's possible, her industry and mine overlap) she'll probably need to make her own way to work. Spending around the £15k mark on a car for her is probbaly on the cards (she likes the Polo 150 1.4TSI ACT, and the Mini Cooper). Unless my new job is quite a hike away and i'll let her have the R monday to Friday commute and i'll buy some economical old crapper I don't mind putting big miles on.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1532 on: 21 December 2014, 14:08 »
I think it would be best to get her something old for a year or two if she's a new driver, unless you can cope with scrapes.

Anyway, at current time of writing:
Broadspeed £16,200 https://broadspeed.com/CarView/Volkswagen/Polo/39999/TSI_BMT_1.8_192PS_Petrol_GTI_Manual_3_doors

Orangewheels £16,041 https://www.orangewheels.co.uk/enquiries/359f1b/enquiry_details/new.html

Add a bit for a five door obviously

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1533 on: 21 December 2014, 14:55 »
Exonian: Those are some great prices, what a relief they're dropped the very troublesome twin-charged 1.4TSI.

She had a good go at passing her test years ago, she was a really good driver under tuition - had her on L-plates under my insurance and never had reason to stamp on the imaginary brakes every time I took her. She failed her driving test 4 times and just gave up - she just fell to bits on the test, but everywhere else she was good. I'd ensure she got parking sensors all round if they're not as standard. It would be a straight out broker job as she'd have nothing to p/x. She's always been in nippy cars - she was in my 140TDI MK5 under tuition and her official lessons car with the driving school was a Lupo GTI (what a car that was!). I'm hoping with a bit of maturity about her now, she can take it easy on her driving test and still pass.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1534 on: 21 December 2014, 15:22 »
Exonian: Those are some great prices, what a relief they're dropped the very troublesome twin-charged 1.4TSI.

She had a good go at passing her test years ago, she was a really good driver under tuition - had her on L-plates under my insurance and never had reason to stamp on the imaginary brakes every time I took her. She failed her driving test 4 times and just gave up - she just fell to bits on the test, but everywhere else she was good. I'd ensure she got parking sensors all round if they're not as standard. It would be a straight out broker job as she'd have nothing to p/x. She's always been in nippy cars - she was in my 140TDI MK5 under tuition and her official lessons car with the driving school was a Lupo GTI (what a car that was!). I'm hoping with a bit of maturity about her now, she can take it easy on her driving test and still pass.

Lupo GTI's were the best fun ever! Fab cars and what an inspired choice by the driving instructor!

It's more door scrapes with post-learners where they cut corners a bit sharp. The good thing with an older car when they first pass is they're not so nervous of scraping it so in effect less chance of doing so!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1535 on: 21 December 2014, 15:36 »
It's the wheel scrapes i'd be most concerned about when kerb corners are cut. Why VW stick with diamond cut and polished wheels is beyond me - they're a whiteworm timebomb (went through 2 sets under warranty on my MK5 GT) and a PITA to repair if they do get scraped. For looking marginally better, it's a shame to see whitewormed wheels underwarranty effectively written off by VW for a purely cosmetic issue. Just looked at the Polo spec - She'd be getting the Park (sensors front and back) and ACC system pack for £795 (minus a 10% discount that the other options listed seem to get I presue, but Orangewheels hasn't listed that pack).

17% discount and a much improved GFV for the Polo range (50% of basic RRP) indicating strong residuals should make it a relatively cheap runner from a depreciation point of view, considering its RRP.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1536 on: 21 December 2014, 15:41 »
It's the wheel scrapes i'd be most concerned about when kerb corners are cut. Why VW stick with diamond cut and polished wheels is beyond me - they're a whiteworm timebomb (went through 2 sets under warranty on my MK5 GT) and a PITA to repair if they do get scraped. For looking marginally better, it's a shame to see whitewormed wheels underwarranty effectively written off by VW for a purely cosmetic issue. Just looked at the Polo spec - She'd be getting the Park (sensors front and back) and ACC system pack for £795 (minus a 10% discount that the other options listed seem to get I presue, but Orangewheels hasn't listed that pack).

17% discount and a much improved GFV for the Polo range (50% of basic RRP) indicating strong residuals should make it a relatively cheap runner from a depreciation point of view, considering its RRP.

The options are a little vague on various websites including VW's at the moment. It was the same when the mk7 GTI/D was released first of all though, and took a while for VW to settle with options.
As a new buy purely on a cost basis I think the depreciation would be very low. 50% of a £19k car is a lot less of a hit in ££ than 50% of a £30k car!
I'd be tempted with one for a year or so just to blast about in and a a bonus it'd even fit in my garage unlike the Golf!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1537 on: 21 December 2014, 20:08 »
I think it would be best to get her something old for a year or two if she's a new driver, unless you can cope with scrapes.

Broadspeed £16,200 https://broadspeed.com/CarView/Volkswagen/Polo/39999/TSI_BMT_1.8_192PS_Petrol_GTI_Manual_3_doors

Orangewheels £16,041 https://www.orangewheels.co.uk/enquiries/359f1b/enquiry_details/new.html

Oh... We were just contemplating a new Audi A1 sportback 1.4 TSI150 s-line I think I better take a look at the polo GTI at that money!
« Last Edit: 21 December 2014, 22:19 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #1538 on: 22 December 2014, 07:37 »

Oh... We were just contemplating a new Audi A1 sportback 1.4 TSI150 s-line I think I better take a look at the polo GTI at that money!

£15,612 on DTD for 3 door  :smiley:

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #1539 on: 22 December 2014, 07:40 »
This great discount is really due to the VWFS 1000 quid deposit contribution offer - otherwise its just a normal 10%.

Great little car though :-)