Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 437870 times)

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
Re: LL's Mk3 1.8t #whore
« Reply #2620 on: 26 March 2012, 23:26 »
Air  :lipsrsealed:

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2621 on: 26 March 2012, 23:30 »
Why do you need a 'cool' look when your running a turbo'd engine up front?

'cool' looks are for low and slow cars, this should be put at a hight so you can keep the loud peddle planted instead of worrying if there's an ant in the road IMO...

Agreed :afro: it should be at a height that means it is drivable.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #2622 on: 27 March 2012, 09:23 »
I don't really worry at this height as such. Sump is welded up and has 10mm plating; been hit and scraped and its fine. Subframe is ok as its not been fitted long and nothing else is really a worry. I just don't like the way the geometry of the suspension is, but I'm sorting that out.

I'm going away thursday, so hopefully if I can get time, I'll bring the back up that 10mm and see how that feels. Then buy/fit new droplinks. Next step will be ball joint extenders and flip track rods. Then I'm hoping it will feel a million times better, otherwise the next step will be to RAISE IT!

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #2623 on: 27 March 2012, 09:50 »
I don't really worry at this height as such. Sump is welded up and has 10mm plating; been hit and scraped and its fine. Subframe is ok as its not been fitted long and nothing else is really a worry. I just don't like the way the geometry of the suspension is, but I'm sorting that out.

I'm going away thursday, so hopefully if I can get time, I'll bring the back up that 10mm and see how that feels. Then buy/fit new droplinks. Next step will be ball joint extenders and flip track rods. Then I'm hoping it will feel a million times better, otherwise the next step will be to RAISE IT!

You're going away again? :shocked: Where to now?

How is that VRT build coming along? Knowing you, slow? :grin: :kiss:

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #2624 on: 27 March 2012, 10:38 »
I reckon best bet is to raise your strut towers on the front. That way you can have muchas suspension travelingdings.
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #2625 on: 27 March 2012, 12:10 »

You're going away again? :shocked: Where to now?

How is that VRT build coming along? Knowing you, slow? :grin: :kiss:

Colorado :D

Haha, yeah mate you got it! I'm moved out of the unit where we had the caddy. I took the engine and ALL the engine bits and Stu had the caddy, which he ended up selling for £100 I think :shocked:

So the engine is still in pieces and I have the turbo on the shelf here at home. I look at everyday and think, "one day you will boost a VR" :D Maybe make boost noises or play forza depending on how excited I get.

I didn't have time or money to do it, uni takes priority I'm afraid. However, it would make a nice summer project, so maybe I'll start getting it put together then. Will get exploded diagrams of the engine and all parts and see what I'm missing. I know I need to buy ARP rod bolts, head spacer and head gasket kit. Anything else I need I'll slowly buy and bolt on. No rush for it cause the engine has no car and I'm not buying another car :D

I reckon best bet is to raise your strut towers on the front. That way you can have muchas suspension travelingdings.

The ball joint extenders and track rod flip bush have got a lot of good reviews, used in both daily drives and track cars. Not cheap mind, probably looking at £100 for the lot.

I will be raising the back up first, just a little. I remember dropping it like 10mm before (to what it is now) and it felt different to drive, so I'm hoping it will help a little. The new droplinks which are much needed should help and a quadruple-check of bolts, rack, etc, etc to make sure I'm not missing something that is loose/broke!

After fitting the balljoint extenders and track rod flip bushes, centralizing the rack and setting the alignment right, it SHOULD feel better to drive than ever before!

Got to do an oil/filter change and renew a PAS hose too.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #2626 on: 28 March 2012, 17:48 »
Fitted new drop links today. After taking the old ones off, I realised that it should have been done sooner! They don't match!

New compared to old:

Fitted:

Forgot I had these!

Going to buy more polybushes for droplinks and lower arms at some point, but its not priority. The above ones are ok, but slightly damaged from where something was grinded (don't ask) and one of them doesn't fit exact, slight up/down movement. It looks to be a difference in the wishbone compared to the other, rather than a wrong sized polybush. Rear beam and ARB subframe mounts are the only parts polybush'd now.

Brought the back up 10mm, little before and after.

I also found out, I think, the reason behind the twitching. Loose balljoint! All 3 bolts were loose! Not sure if its just happened or whether the MOT garage messed up when they did the wheel bearing or whether it was me.

Either way it needs renewing cause they wouldn't tighten up properly. Which makes me think maybe over-tightened and come loose?

So new ball joints are on the cards. Probs pick up OE ones when I get those ball joint extenders over the Easter.

Another thing I found out today, need a new rear caliper. Mine is seized, won't lock on with handbrake and means the pads are constantly touching the disc's. I found out by hitting my leg on the wheel; and with it being nice outside, I had shorts on and burnt my leg on the wheel :D Other 3 wheels were cold.

Got a nice list to do over the Easter but be awesome once its all done! Car drives so much nicer after fitting those droplinks and tightening up the ball joint bolts best I could. No doubt they will loosen again, but I'll be sorting it out soon :)

Here's something I picked up from VW today. Over 30 pages I think. Something to help with the VR if I ever start rebuilding it :D

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #2627 on: 28 March 2012, 19:19 »
Top job, does it feel any better at the back now its up a bit?
How did you get hold of the etka printouts?? Did you ask for specific pages? and how much did they charge for em? May be worth getting a few I think................
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #2628 on: 28 March 2012, 20:47 »
Good work!

That ETKA stuff looks interesting!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #2629 on: 28 March 2012, 21:50 »
Top job, does it feel any better at the back now its up a bit?
How did you get hold of the etka printouts?? Did you ask for specific pages? and how much did they charge for em? May be worth getting a few I think................

Just go into dealer ship and ask I guess...that's what I did for the gear linkage

but 30 pages might not be a freebie!  :shocked:
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk