Author Topic: Electrical problems...  (Read 438 times)

Offline freewheeler

• Just got here
Electrical problems...
« on: 21 October 2006, 19:32 »
Hi,

Im new to the GTi scene although have been owned a Beetle, Mark1, mark2 and Caddy Diesel in the past.

I just bought a very clean, early Mark2 GTi on an A plate which unfortunately has a few electrical issues and I would dearly love some help as electrics just are not my strong points.

The following is wrong:

(1) The heater blows hot air occasionally and bizarrely the hot and cold sides seem to have swapped over completely , i.e. if I want hot air i move to the slider to the blue mark and vice versa. Having just looked round the forum it sounds as if there could be an air-lock but how would the settings have gone back to front?

(2) The speedo and tacho lights dont work - blown fuse/bulb perhaps? If its the bulbs just how hard is it to get behind the dash to replace them?

(3) The blue High Beam light glows very faintly when lights are on low beam but doesnt work at all when lights are on high beam.

(4) With the lights off the MFA resets itself (and tach need falls to 0) when high beam/flash is put into use. I havent tried this when the lights are on yet.

(5) The water temp light flashes occasionally for no apparent reason although goes out (for a short while at least) when the high beam is selected (lights on or off).

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Where should I start to look?

On the plus side its a lovely car to drive and makes a great sound at anything over 3K. It has the Pirelli P-Slot wheels which I understand are hard to get hold of and for its age really is in excellent condition. I am slowly replacing damaged bits and pieces to turn it into a real minter.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Nick.

Offline J.stafford16v

• Here all the time
Re: Electrical problems...
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2006, 21:12 »
Good luck!!!!!!!

No seriously it sounds like you have a few earthing problems, lights on clocks will be builbs(replace them all whilst you've got the clocks out). Check all connections easiest one first, headlight, fuse connectors and all earthing straps. Hope this helps.

Offline freewheeler

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2006, 08:10 »
Nice one!

That gives me something to look at - cheers.

Offline J.stafford16v

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2006, 21:17 »
Any joy as yet?