Author Topic: brake fluid  (Read 1484 times)

gtipilot

brake fluid
« on: 30 April 2003, 17:50 »
hi

just wanted to know how to bleed the old brake fluid out of my car, i know where to put it in , but i need to get the old stuff out first!

<<<GTIPilot>>>
1990 Golf GTI Mk2 16V
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline john_wintle

• Not said much yet
Re:brake fluid
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2003, 18:48 »
hi

just wanted to know how to bleed the old brake fluid out of my car, i know where to put it in , but i need to get the old stuff out first!

<<<GTIPilot>>>
1990 Golf GTI Mk2 16V

You don't actually remove the old fluid first, as you would then be left with a system full of air! You pull/push the new brake fluid through the system. If you use the ATE Super Blue Racing, then you will see the new fluid coming through, as it's blue in colour instead of the usual brown.

As for getting rid of it, well put it back into a container and take it to the tip. Do NOT put it down the drain!

John Wintle, 1273,
Sussex Regional Host, ClubGTI
www.clubgti-sussex.co.uk

Swissol Reseller for VW
swissol.sales@tesco.net

Offline modulater

• I live here
Re:brake fluid
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2003, 22:11 »
The easiest way to bleed the brakes is to buy a pressure bleeder kit from Halfords that uses air from the spare wheel to pump fluid round the brake system, start at the furthest wheel from the master cylinder and finish at the closet, I had problems with air on my 16V after replacing the rear calipers and had to clamp the brake pressure regulator open to stop it interfering with the fluid flow.