Author Topic: DIY fitment guides for genuine VAG cruise control  (Read 11408 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
DIY fitment guides for genuine VAG cruise control
« on: 31 January 2006, 11:21 »
All credit to Foxy and Chris for these top guides. I used them to fit mine and had absolutely no problems:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/cruise_control.htm

http://www.foxytech.hostcell.net/control_stalk.htm
« Last Edit: 07 February 2010, 21:00 by richw911 »

Offline paul25_uk

• Not said much yet
  • Gettin' there!
Re: DIY fitment guides for genuine VAG cruise control
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2006, 16:47 »
Question please if i may!

I am looking at having a lush at fitting this over the weekend, however i don't know of anyone who has VAG-COM in Manchester who'll not charge a massive fee for something relatively simple.

Does it make a difference if i don't enable Cruise control at the beginning?  Can i do all the work and when i get around to it have it switched on? 

Thanks

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2006, 23:37 »
That won't be a problem. I fitted mine but didn't get the VAGCOM until a few days later.
My mate at work installed his and found that it worked straight away. Already enabled.
You never know your luck :wink:

Offline paul25_uk

• Not said much yet
  • Gettin' there!
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2006, 18:27 »
Thanks for the reply.  Have attempted to fit the cruise control this morning and i am now a broken man! lol

Steering stuff, no problems.  Switched the car on, tested everything and everything worked fine.  The I went under the bonnet!  At first I couldn't get my wiper arms off for the life of me, WD40 and everything just didn't seem to help, then they came off!  I have really cockes something up though.

I was reading the notes through the install on the laptop, but i really struggled with a few bits.  The fuse holder for example, does the purple section come away from the back surround?  If so how?  I couldn't see.  I couldn't get the fuse wire out i was supposed to and when it did come out not all of it came out, just the middle, not the surrounding metal bit!  So now i can't put the fuse back into the unit, hence why i'm a broken man at the moment! 

In addition, i though well i'd finish off the wiring so at least everything else is done.  Looked at the site for the next step and how did he manage to remove the black section under the wiper asembly with the plugs in?  I can get the surrounds off no problems but he seemed to have pulled the black section through???  How?

And to top it all when switching the engine back on my airbag light came on!  Didn't notice if it did the first time, but it's on now?  Is this norm as it's been undone and put back?

Anyone drop me an email/post if you can help.  Gonna try for a second attempt tomorrow morning if the rain holds out.

Thanks again.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2006, 01:00 »
Sorry, haven't been online much recently. How have you got on?

My wiper arms were a b!tch to remove. I persisted with rocking the arm backwards and forwards and eventually they came free. I also had to use some penetrating oil.

My airbag light didn't come on, however, I did disconnect the battery before starting out so maybe that's why mine didn't. You should be able to fix that with VAGCOM but I think there is a warning to do with the airbags. You have to check the part number of the controller to make sure its OK for VAGCOM to access it.

Offline paul25_uk

• Not said much yet
  • Gettin' there!
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2006, 07:30 »
I plugged the laptop into the car and switched of the airbag warning.  So that's ok now.  I haven't re-visited the wiring issue as yet, mainly due to the fact I have the same issue as before in that the wire into the back of the fuse i seperated from the actual metal clip on the end so it isn't as it should be now.  It's all working from that fuse which is good but next time it comes out I need it to be working.

My regulator on the window dropped last night, nightmare!  Luckily I have the parts & labour cover on AA which is really excellent, told them what happened and they pay for repair with £25 excess.  And I can claim upto 5 times a year.  Usefull if, like me you have a problem you'd like to tackle but it's cheaper to get done professionally! :wink:

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2006, 01:34 »
quick question, can this be retro-fitted to all mkl4 gti's? Not seen anything saying yes/no for the 2.0l 2001 model

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2006, 09:40 »
I would have thought so.

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2006, 21:04 »
I would have thought so.

Thanks, will let you know how it goes

Offline TurboBeast

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2007, 10:49 »
Is there any way of doing this if the car is a 1999 but with no Drive By Wire system?