Author Topic: Autoexpress drives Golf Gti's 1 - 8,  (Read 3248 times)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: Autoexpress drives Golf Gti's 1 - 8,
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2021, 18:03 »
Maybe the difference is from the older marks with hydraulic steering-racks compared the electric ones we have now... I know some of the 'reporter drivers' seemed to feel the difference.

The mark 7 he favours also has an electric steering rack.

The electric racks have fewer turns lock to lock than the old hydraulic ones. Neither of my Mk1 & 2 GTi's had Power assistance.

I own a Mk7 CS, but from memory I thought the steering on a mk5 Ed30 was marginally better?
I would need to try them back to back to be sure, I think that is what surprised Sutcliffe most, I wonder what order he actually drove the cars in?

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2021, 20:06 »
Maybe the difference is from the older marks with hydraulic steering-racks compared the electric ones we have now... I know some of the 'reporter drivers' seemed to feel the difference.

The electric racks have fewer turns lock to lock than the old hydraulic ones. Neither of my Mk1 & 2 GTi's had Power assistance.

I own a Mk7 CS, but from memory I thought the steering on a mk5 Ed30 was marginally better?
I would need to try them back to back to be sure, I think that is what surprised Sutcliffe most, I wonder what order he actually drove the cars in?

Did the mk5 not also have electric power steering? I prefer the mk5 ed30 for steering feel, I think it just has less electrical input than the mk7, just average suspension though. The mk7 has better suspension but too much electric input in the steering, but it's too be expected with any car with steering modes.

Was moving a Triumph TR6 the other week, with retrofitted power steering that kept cutting out. Let's just say it was a real workout when there was zero  :grin:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2021, 03:12 »

Did the mk5 not also have electric power steering? I prefer the mk5 ed30 for steering feel, I think it just has less electrical input than the mk7, just average suspension though. The mk7 has better suspension but too much electric input in the steering, but it's too be expected with any car with steering modes.

Was moving a Triumph TR6 the other week, with retrofitted power steering that kept cutting out. Let's just say it was a real workout when there was zero  :grin:

I think the MK5 GTI had hydraulic steering?  Regardless, it certainly had more feel than the 7/7.5's set up.

There are ways to avoid a numb electric set up.  Mazda MX5, for example, puts the electric steering motor on a supplementary shaft, not the main steering rack shaft, which results in much better steering feel.  Best of both hydraulic and electric systems.

I found that Sutcliffe video very interesting.  He is no newbie, having been around for a long time - and without doubt he knows his stuff.  I would put a lot of value in his judgements.  Certainly everything he had to say in that video accords with my experiences of Golfs Mk 1, 5 and 7.  Haven't driven an 8 yet, but hopefully soon. 
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Carlos67

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2021, 11:51 »
I'm curious as to why he said so little about the MK2 in the video.

For me, it's one off the best looking GTI's along with the 7.5.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2021, 13:32 »
I'm curious as to why he said so little about the MK2 in the video.

For me, it's one off the best looking GTI's along with the 7.5.

I've enjoyed my Mk2 Gti's, but I guess it doesn't get the attention the Mk1 gets, having started the genre.
Subjectively the Mk2 is a decent evolution of the Mk1, especially the brakes!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2021, 14:51 »
I’ve just got round to watching the vid.

So he’s only 50? God he must’ve had a good life!  :grin:

Having owned at least one example of each generation with the exception of the mk3 where I went for a brace of VR6’s and an Ibiza GTI (the latter with the mk3 GTI engine and most of the front suspension) I probably agree with most of what he says.
The mk1 is a bit rose tinted specs on a private road methinks but definitely the most lively (and scary!)

Should the Golf GTI have been rebranded at some point like he says? I think not. Evolution of cars (and everything else) in general keeps it all relevant and I think the GTI still stands close to the original ethos give or take. For those that want ‘more’ there’s the R.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2021, 16:12 »
The mk1 is a bit rose tinted specs on a private road methinks but definitely the most lively (and scary!)

Should the Golf GTI have been rebranded at some point like he says? I think not. Evolution of cars (and everything else) in general keeps it all relevant and I think the GTI still stands close to the original ethos give or take. For those that want ‘more’ there’s the R.

mk1 or mk2 I've always wanted, don't have anywhere to store or restore one however. There's just a bit of character about them that makes them attractive, unfortunately not to the point where people want £10k+ for them with barely any floor pan left.

With regards to the rebranding of the GTI badge it's already happened, the GTE well they say GTX but i think that's stupid. They should embrace the GTE badge as we step towards the hybrid/electric side and focus on making the GTE a real competitor to the GTI and the rest of the hot hatches.

Focus the GTE/R on the delivery of the power and the GTI on handling around B roads.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2021, 16:28 »
Sutcliffe said the Golf should have already changed its name. Kinda like its rivals have (XR3i now ST etc) which I disagree with.
The GTX is for the next gen cars which makes sense. The GTX moniker being a historically used badge for sporty non-Golf models harking back to the ‘80’s.
The GTI badge should die with the FWD petrol hatches but is still relevant today, and for the next few years.

A mk1 is a definite lottery win garage car.  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2021, 17:45 »
I never knew the GTX was previously used, I must do my homework  :whistle:

I agree the GTI should be laid to rest before it becomes a hybrid 3-cyl, unless they decide they want to compete against the new 4-cylinder C63  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2021, 10:49 »
The Scirocco GTX was a childhood favourite of mine
https://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/dr-dubs-scirocco-storm-site/mk2-gtx/ plus there was a Jetta GTX back in the day too. Probably one or two others I’ve forgotten about in the mists of time.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner