Author Topic: Golf MK2 Driver  (Read 3731 times)

Offline h.1966

• Not said much yet
Golf MK2 Driver
« on: 11 October 2005, 14:27 »
Hello to everyone,
                           Thought i would introduce myself, i have just bought on impulse a 1990 'H' plate Golf Driver MK 2 1593cc for £200 quid, it was parked in someones drive 7 months MOT 145,000,the chap i bought it off had got it for his wife while her car was being repaired but drove it once and did not like it,i liked it as it was in such good condition no rust no dings or dints and a spotless interior.It has a full service history carried out by dane motor company of wrexham, two owners and every MOT, and bills for everything purchased(including car mats!!).

So my question is what have i let myself in for?? never even considered Golfs before, i have not had chance to give it a thorough inspection as yet but i did crawl underneath and not a bit of rust anywhere!!. The engine sounds sweet no rattles or knocks.
But i just need to know is there anytrhing to look for i intend giving it a good inspection at the weekend.

Also is insurance pretty cheap on Golfs?

Cheers
Ian.H

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Golf MK2 Driver
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2005, 15:17 »
Howdy!!  :cool:

welcome to the forum!! Good choice of car mate. I own a Driver too.  Main thing to look out for is the carb as the original can be a bit troublesome.  First thing I'd do is get it serviced; new cambelt & tensioner, oil filter, oil and fuel fiilter.  Check all the hoses for breaks, leaks etc.  Then start to enjoy golf ownership!!

As for insurance, shop around. All depends on your age etc etc and what level of cover you want.  The Driver is a Group 9 car so a bit steep compared to modern ones; but no where near as fun!!  :smiley:

For any other info check out the MK2 section. Also ask questions; plenty of people about who know their stuff!! (I'm not one of them!! LOL!)

« Last Edit: 11 October 2005, 16:37 by Rhyso »

Offline VWDino

• GTI forum regular
  • MkII 1.6 Driver. GTi cam, K&N .....
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2005, 16:22 »
Hiya!
Welcome to the world of VDubs. Excellent choice of car, I also have a Driver. As Rhyso says the carb can be troublesome at times but don't let it put you off, theres a cracking FAQ section on the Pierburg carb on the forum. Other things to look out for are door membranes, a plastic membrane between the door card and the door itself. If these are broken water can get inside the car. Pretty obvious if theyve gone though. Also check the heater works on all speeds, if not a new resistor might be needed for the blower fan. All minor things really as Golfs just go and go  :smiley:
Other thing to watch is if the car has a tapping sound from the top of the engine, the cam followers (tappets) might need replacing, again not a major thing.
Other than that, the usual checks and servicing applys!
Enjoy  :smiley:

Offline razla

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2005, 17:19 »
hello and welcome :cool:

Villa in Orlando, Florida, 10 mins from Disney! Pm me.

Dinky

« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2005, 18:53 »
welcome to the forum hun :smiley:

Dinx :kiss:

Fielder5757

« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2005, 19:33 »
Drivers are great cars, Check out my section in the Dub projects section of the forum to see what can be done with em :)

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2005, 10:59 »
hee hee.. i got a driver too... not for long mind, i got a mk1 cab on the cards...

hiya btw  :smiley:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2005, 11:19 »
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got yourself an absolute bargain there !  :grin:
......now officially dubless.

Offline h.1966

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2005, 12:19 »
Well thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the site, the first thing i need to get myself is a Haynes manual as i would like to do some simple servicing myself, i would like to change the oil and filter this weekend do golfs have a preference to any type of oil???.
So hopefuly years of trouble free motoring ahead, i will try and post pics as soon as i can to see what you all think

Thanks
H.

Fielder5757

« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2005, 12:33 »
^^ i have a VW golf service manual on CD at home, its a 33Megabite PDF file that id be more than happy to send to you over MSN if you like, Or if its more convieant i could burn it onto a CD and post it out to you. Its got everything you could need to service any Mk2 golf or jetta, It even has a guide on how to service the 1.1 litre models!