Author Topic: bypassing a supercharger?  (Read 1751 times)

Blue MK2

bypassing a supercharger?
« on: 17 September 2004, 16:36 »
is it possible to bypass a G60 engine's supercharger and what effect would this have exactly?

the obvious one will be less power but how less? how is it done?

Blue

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: bypassing a supercharger?
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2004, 16:40 »
quickest way would probably be to just remove one of the boost hoses! one of mine had a great hole in it so all that compressed air was escaping out.

why would you want to do that?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2004, 16:42 »
Yeah jv that Rallye of yours is rubbish and nothing but trouble, you need to sell it...............to me !  ;D
......now officially dubless.

Blue MK2

« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2004, 16:49 »
could you just take the belt off it?

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2004, 17:01 »
nope, you would need to do something about the oil.

hold on a mo...
Buy site stuff!

Forum Charity

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2004, 17:02 »
I thought the mapping of the ecu was totally different for a charged engine therefore if inlet wasn't pressurised I guess the fuel mix and timing etc would be totally wrong. Would probably end up running like a bag of sh!te. If you simply took the belt off you would still be drawing all your intake air through the charger (I think), Surely somebody will correct me here but I think the stationary charger in your intake would probably end up restricting air flow.

Toby

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2004, 17:03 »
Buy site stuff!

Forum Charity

vwsystems

« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2004, 00:41 »
aslong as the inlet was connected to the charger it would restrict air flow!

it would be pointless doing this! because it would slow the car down and you would still be paying for g60 insurance! it would be like buying a cosworth and tanking the turbo off! in that case people would buy a 2 litre dohc in the first place!

a lad i know chris at midasport ( dont know if anyone knows him) has just had a corrado g60 he said he's not been much for force inducted engines but now he says there the future! ;D obvously the advantages of forced induction out way the dis advantages! if the tdi'd wernt td's then they would never be as fast as they are now!

150 bhp from a 1.9 diesel!
thats some bhp from a petrol never mind a diesel!
the time has come where diesel has taken over petrol!

yes there noisey still but some are quiet!
but the mpg and better performance than the petrol eqivelant! make the diesel the best option!
and with the petrol prices as high as they are its just another score to the diesel side!

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2004, 02:00 »
as long as the MAF was still reading the air coming in the engine should run. not sure about the G60 engine, but I know the 20v will work that way. Doesn't run too good though. I popped a hose off the other day after I forgot to screw the jublie back up tight enough and I thought I'd blown it up. it wasn't until I opened her out on the bypass I suddenly realised I'd lost 100bhp somewhere lol.  ::)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline ovalthemoon

• Not said much yet
bypassing a supercharger?
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2004, 00:31 »
you can do this but the charger belt runs the water pump, so you have to fit a smaller belt, the ecu will sort out the fueling but you will end up with one slow car slower than a n/a 8v, when i blew a hole in my charger at pod i learnt this, took the belt off and drove home only (10mins) and had to keep filling up the water, but had no recovery so no other choice
Mk2 G60 Racer