Author Topic: 16 valve camber adjustment  (Read 1377 times)

Offline shawn

• Not said much yet
16 valve camber adjustment
« on: 04 July 2003, 00:03 »
i've put jamex springs on my car( mk 11 1992 16 valve) and the two front tyres wore down to the metal band on the inside edge. obviously this was caused by the lowered ride height increasing the camber.i just wondered if any body knows where i can get hold of the thinner bolts for adjusting the camber between the strut and the hub carrier assembly i remember seeing them advertised a few years ago. has any body else had the same problems and did this cure it , interested to find out.

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
Re:16 valve camber adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2003, 16:18 »
I had the same problem last week. As the front camber is non adjustable vw released two bolts of 11mm which replace the 12mm standard ones. This only changes the camber ever so slightly though and by the sounds of your tyre wear they wont sort your camber out fully.
However, i did manage to adjust mine by loosening the three bolts by the ball joint and pulling/pushing the hub where you want it.
I also had my tracking set up after lowering and the garage adjusted the near side track rod which shouldn't be moved as this is a fixed dimension. This also caused me a real headache so if you have had your tracking done make sure you check that.
Hope that helps mate
Tom

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2003, 16:20 »
I forgot to add...... i will post the vw part number for the bolts tomorrow afternoon as i don't have them to hand.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2003, 20:34 »
camber is adjustable on both the ball joint bolts and on the strut mounting bolts, even with the non adjustable bolts in there will be a slight amount of movement which can lead to slight camber errors, Also VW sell a replacement bolt to allow more adjustment to be made if need be, On my ETKA it is part number N 101 740 01, the thread size is the same as it uses the original nut on the other side, the shoulder of the bolt is smaller and also the head of the bolt is 18mm instead of the standard 19mm. I know this as I have one of them fitted on my car.