Author Topic: 8v wont start  (Read 5095 times)

Offline stew8vmk2golf

• Not said much yet
8v wont start
« on: 25 June 2003, 17:46 »
 :'( can any one help me, i recently swapped the engines over in my car adding a 1.8 mk2 8v gti (digifant) engine to my car. I swapped the whole thing including all the wiring looms and the fuse box. Now that its in my car it wont start. The engine seems to flood all the time. If i disconnect the wire to the main fuel pump the engine eill eventually start and then run for a while, but if i connect the pump again, it stalls and floods. Its been suggested that its the ecu. But i've put a replacement on it and it still does the same thing. When the engine was out i changed the clutch and the timing belt. Can anyone help me with this problem as i really want to get the thing running again.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re:8v wont start
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2003, 18:00 »
Did you miss a connector somewhere or is one loose maybe?

Does sound like something isn't talking to the ECU and telling it that there is fuel there.

I'll have a look in the Bentley see if that sheds any light..........

Offline stew8vmk2golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2003, 18:06 »
the connectors are all on and secure. the only thing that isnt connected is a two pin connector behind fuse box that was never connected in the first place. The connector on the side of the fuel injector rail is a different colour to that suggested by the majority of wiring diagrams, being a black/yellow and a brown/yellow wire. its as though it can cope with a small amount of fuel but not the full amount as though the injectors are letting in too much. Are they constantly open?

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2003, 18:18 »
Have you interrogated the on board diagnosis?

Offline stew8vmk2golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2003, 18:21 »
the what. please dont tell me that has something to do with the dash. as i'm currently swapping over to a mk3.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2003, 18:24 »
Bare with me, I'm getting this info from a Bentley..........which incidently is American so it may be slightly different due to the tighter emission laws in the states.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2003, 18:28 »
Have a look here, see what you make of this.............

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richandhazel1/DigifantOBD/ESIS.htm

Offline stew8vmk2golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2003, 18:45 »
on the ecu it says its the digifant II type. the old instrument cluster didnt have any thing that was labelled check. The only lights which lit up were alternator, oil and temp.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2003, 18:51 »
Hmmm, I have something on difigant 2 too........back in a mo.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2003, 18:57 »
The digifant 2 on board daignosis only applied to Californian models so that doesn't help much.
There is a troubleshooting page but it doesn't mention anything about overfuelling..........do you want to have a look at it anyway?