Author Topic: TCR Black Roof  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
TCR Black Roof
« on: 25 January 2022, 14:32 »
Like to have the roof done in black, likely by wrap opposed to paint but have a few questions

1. Is the roof gloss black or matt black like the wing mirrors and Reifnitz wheels? Think would like it to match mirrors and wheels but wanted to know the factory option (not seen one)
2. Imagine there is different quality of wraps, so what would you ask for to ensure best endurance, and how much circa would a roof cost to wrap by someone skilled in such things?

Its a pretty small and flat section of car so does not look complicated for anyone who does for a living (I would not try, definitely be bubbles based on my wallpapering)

3. Think know answer, as a yes, perfectly safe, but say when the wrap shows sign of wear after 3-5 years, does it just peel off (leaving no damage) or is there a process to remove and re-do?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: TCR Black Roof
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2022, 17:19 »
If it's done properly and is a quality product I'd be surprised if it wears on the roof. I can't remember the name of the one my detailer was going to use when I asked him about it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2022, 19:09 »
1. The roof is gloss black.

2. They're all fairly similar it's just coloured vinyl I wouldn't get hung up on it, I've had two roofs done one at £120 and one at £80, they're both the same. (Half roof as I had a sunroof both times)

3. Really you just replace the wrap when it's scratched enough to annoy you and replace it, it just peels off but you would need to remove the aerial to do so. Always heat up the surface prior to it to help loosen the glue.

4. I recommend getting it ceramic coated in Gtechniq Halo or an equivalent, or if you're going to wax it yourself stay 1 inch away from the edges when applying wax so you don't get it on the edge of the wrap.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2022, 14:17 »
Thanks for replies which make what need to do crystal, thank you.

Just setting myself up to purchase when lease expires, and when do, its first 'making it mine' will be a gloss black roof wrap and a detail with ceramic coat.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC