Author Topic: My Precious  (Read 2779 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: My Precious
« Reply #30 on: 25 January 2022, 19:14 »
Haha, I would love to be as skilled and as patient as those who detail, maybe then I would feel the glow that makes me do it over and over again, but much like the acceptance to just driving the car and not worrying about the what might happen, there is acceptance that i am neither skilled or patient enough to detail a car, especially in the winter! So we go our separate paths wishing each other the best.

Did laugh the other day at an Autoglym Transit that was bright white and sparkling, imagine that being in your job description, must clean white van to showroom condition every day?! Ewww :)

Mine will get a really good clean circa March, which when done is quite satisfying must admit, but till then its a wipe over of number plates and lights when at its worst and keep on movin :)

It's down to each to their own really, I just enjoy cleaning the car it's relaxing and apparently very good exercise.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline VWRed

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 25 January 2022, 19:15 »
Good point regarding the thermostat/water pump. It doesn't seem that tricky to look to see if there's signs of a previous/current leak yourself, either from underneath or with a mirror from above. If I get time tomorrow I'll give it a go and post a pic or two for the forums opinion! The video shot by the VW technician was terrible and when collecting the car and asking the reception how bad the leak looked, they said I should have received a video that showed it. I've even tried viewing the video on my 27" iMac screen but the resolution is so low it's just a blur :grin:

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 25 January 2022, 19:34 »
It’s often a very slow leak as I understand it, so signs can be subtle-

That said, he should’ve been able to take  a satisfactory photo/ video with the car up on a ramp.

Exactly the same with my tyres- he’d drawn big yellow marks around what he said were cuts.

It was extremely suspicious the way he only very briefly focused on the “ cuts”, so I couldn’t actually see them on the video.

I had it booked for MOT with them too ( and they were telling me the tyres were a fail) - I told them to take the yellow marks off and not do the mot.

I got it through the mot elsewhere the following day, with no problem at all.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline VWRed

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 25 January 2022, 21:14 »
Funny you mention the MOT. I also had the MOT done at the same time as the service at the main dealer.

Although the Vehicle Health Check indicates the the Brakes as being RED 'Worn' ('Potentially dangerous, MOT failure or safety related') and the Suspension-Damper-Front Left as being AMBER 'Leaking' (Advisory, will require future work), the MOT came back as a PASS with NO ADVISORIES.

I believe I'm correct in thinking that if the brake pad/discs are close to their minimum limit it's an MOT Advisory and if a Shock Absorber is leaking it's a Fail or at best an Advisory??

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 25 January 2022, 21:34 »
Both would be a minimum of advisories. My wife’s Polo failed on a leaky damper.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 26 January 2022, 14:15 »
Haha, I would love to be as skilled and as patient as those who detail, maybe then I would feel the glow that makes me do it over and over again, but much like the acceptance to just driving the car and not worrying about the what might happen, there is acceptance that i am neither skilled or patient enough to detail a car, especially in the winter! So we go our separate paths wishing each other the best.

Did laugh the other day at an Autoglym Transit that was bright white and sparkling, imagine that being in your job description, must clean white van to showroom condition every day?! Ewww :)

Mine will get a really good clean circa March, which when done is quite satisfying must admit, but till then its a wipe over of number plates and lights when at its worst and keep on movin :)

It's down to each to their own really, I just enjoy cleaning the car it's relaxing and apparently very good exercise.

Just cleaned my number plates :) but as the gloss black side skirts are colour coded to the car, think will have to relent and do a jet wash and then bucket at weekend to tide me over till Spring
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline VWRed

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 26 January 2022, 18:25 »
So, this morning I jacked up the car (with axle stand :grin:) and took the attached shots of the Shock Absorber (the gator is exposing the shaft as it's jacked, when lowered it covers it completely), thermostat/water pump pre and post a wipe (whilst it was jacked thought I'd give it a wipe so I could feel for any moisture and better enable the monitoring of any leaks - there was no moisture), and the front near side brake disc/pad. Any comments as to the condition of the parts gratefully received!!