Author Topic: Mk7.5 Buying Advice  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Brewmachine

• Just got here
Mk7.5 Buying Advice
« on: 19 January 2022, 15:25 »
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new car & looking at either a Mk7.5 GTI PP / R and was after some advice.

I almost pulled the trigger on one the other day, but when looking into common faults & things to look for during a viewing / test drive - I started reading loads of reports of leaking sunroofs & trashed interiors due to water ingress. Which has scared me a little and made me rethink the type of spec I'm looking for...

Obviously, being in the UK means our rainy days far outweigh those of glorious sunshine - So whilst I like the look of it & would appreciate the extra light in the cab - I'm worried the risks outweigh the use I'd get out of it.

Surely there's loads of pan roofs in the UK - How bad of a problem is it? Am I blowing it out of proportion or should I avoid them like the plague?

TIA
Brew

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Mk7.5 Buying Advice
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2022, 15:39 »
I'm four years into pan roof ownership and have no problems at all, FWIW. I haven't gone out of my way to maintain it, either. I really should.

Offline IamLee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2022, 16:03 »
I’ve never read anything about leaks, mine has certainly been no trouble. I treat the seals occasionally to stop any squeaks. The interior is very dark without the pan roof so it’s a nice thing to have.
2019 7.5 PP DSG GTi Issac, graphite seville, pan roof, dynaudio, tints, camera, lane assist, keyless

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2022, 17:57 »
Rattles you hear about a lot and the tcr suffered from cracked sunroof surrounds.

Most water leaks on the mk7 range were either the shark fin or through the rear door speakers.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2022, 20:30 »
Rattles you hear about a lot and the tcr suffered from cracked sunroof surrounds.

Most water leaks on the mk7 range were either the shark fin or through the rear door speakers.
I would say majority are from the rubber drain tube in the boot.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2022, 21:42 »
the tcr suffered from cracked sunroof surrounds.

water leaks through the rear door speakers.

Unfortunately I had both these issues with mine and within first 18 months (along with a couple of other things).

Yes it was covered by warranty but it did take the shine off it for a while to be honest.

Thing is, no car you buy is guaranteed to be fault free either new or second hand. So don’t stress to much about the specifics like these items.

Factor the possibility that these items may happen and weigh it against how much you like the car.

Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2022, 21:44 »

The facelift had an updated drain design so they aren't affected iirc.

I also have only had mk7's with sunroof's and have been grand, I like it and I would open mine nearly every drive (Just the pop up mode, I'm not a monster)
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2022, 23:26 »

The facelift had an updated drain design so they aren't affected iirc.

I also have only had mk7's with sunroof's and have been grand, I like it and I would open mine nearly every drive (Just the pop up mode, I'm not a monster)
drain tube looks exactly the same on my TCR as it did on my mk7 GTi so doubt it's a different part.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2022, 06:17 »
Pan roof on the previous Mk7 and current TCR and never had any leaks or rattles.  The extra light in the cabin does make a real difference.
TCR 3 door

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2022, 07:32 »
The leak I got was via one of the door speakers if I recall correctly.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass