Author Topic: Worthy upgrade?  (Read 5146 times)

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
Re: Worthy upgrade?
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2021, 20:45 »
The PP adds more weight due to the VAQ unit & more unsprung weight due to the "R" brakes which are 340mm front & 310mm?? vented rear...This is why VW tweaked the ECU software to give it more power to keep the same power/weight ratio as the basic GTI...

Yes its a "top spec", but in reality its useless as better lighter stuff can be retro fitted to your existing GTI.

Wavetrack LSD in the gearbox/transfer case....

Leave the rear brakes as they do very little work..

For the fronts retro fit either the Audi ATE 4 pot alu calipers (straight bolt on for MQB platform cars) & use 340mm discs (not the VW OEM CCS as they are not made correctly)..or you can use Porsche Macan brembo calipers & MK6 R32 345mm discs.

Stage 1 Revo tune in the 98RON option (super unleaded)....keeps the car as near to "stock" in terms of power delivery/feel.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #21 on: 30 December 2021, 15:18 »
(not the VW OEM CCS as they are not made correctly)

Please could you elaborate on this Dave, not heard this and see plenty of people fitting them.

Stage 1 Revo tune in the 98RON option (super unleaded)....keeps the car as near to "stock" in terms of power delivery/feel.

I have to agree with you there Sir, can't fault my Revo stage 1 tune. Nearly five years on mine now, no issues...
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 30 December 2021, 15:29 »
rwleigh, did you change the clutch when you went to Revo stage 1?
If not how many miles has it been Revo-ed?

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #23 on: 30 December 2021, 15:40 »

No, all stock apart from the Revo stage 1. Currently on 30k miles and just had its fifth main dealer service with no issues.
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 30 December 2021, 16:07 »

No, all stock apart from the Revo stage 1. Currently on 30k miles and just had its fifth main dealer service with no issues.

Impressive!..... I may save that modification, should I get bored with my own CS.... seems to go well enough as it is for now.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 30 December 2021, 16:08 »

Please could you elaborate on this Dave, not heard this and see plenty of people fitting them.

I think golfdave is probably referring to the fact CSS discs are not handed.
The drillings are opposed to the direction of rotation on the "wrong" side and so are the internal vanes between the disc faces IIRC.

« Last Edit: 30 December 2021, 16:15 by madstaff »
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 30 December 2021, 16:28 »
The CSS discs are a bit of a half hearted attempt....you can have a seperate bell to aid cooling, but on the CSS they are still part of the disc...most track brake applications have a disc that can be replaced. seperated from the bell, as the disc gets hot heat is dissipated through the ali bell.

When the time comes to replace the front discs on my CS, I do not consider the CSS discs to be "enough" of an upgrade.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 30 December 2021, 16:39 »

I have to agree with you there Sir, can't fault my Revo stage 1 tune. Nearly five years on mine now, no issues...

As has been mentioned above the CSS discs are not "handed"....basically one cast is used for the left & right sides. This meaning the internal directional vanes are rotating the wrong way around for one of the discs causing it to get hotter than the one which rotates the correct way. There was an article on VW Driver mag about this when these came out.

Also the two piece disc is not a proper two piece disc as you cannot separate the bell from the discs & reuse the bell...

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #28 on: 30 December 2021, 17:41 »
Thanks for the info all, fancy them not being handed... How bad is that!

I couldn't have that on my car, would drive me mad looking at the wrong one.  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 30 December 2021, 22:07 »
From memory, so don’t shoot me if I’m wrong, the T-Roc R has similar 340mm two piece discs to the CSS and TCR except they’re not drilled.
Lightweight bells mated to non-drilled discs.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner