Author Topic: Worthy upgrade?  (Read 5130 times)

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Re: Worthy upgrade?
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2021, 16:34 »
You've a nice example, I wouldn't be trading up for a 7.5, really you're trading for the performance pack and the facelift bodykit since you've the 7.5 radio already.

Bigger brakes and a Quaife / Wavetrac LSD would cost you a whole lot less that upgrading.

That being said here's a very very tasty Clubsport, I'd happily sell my car for but too much effort.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112050238295?postcode=bt275pr&sort=mileage&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&aggregatedTrim=GTI%20Clubsport%2040&radius=1500&model=Golf&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Volkswagen&page=1

That Clubsport is very tempting but it's almost exactly the same as my current car, it does make me feel inspired to do a few more Clubsport retrofits however. Perhaps starting with that steering wheel  :laugh:

I just had my steering wheel redone, it makes a massive difference. Just makes the car feel newer!

Yeah I had seen that, it looks amazing! How much did it cost? (If you don't mind me asking).
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 29 December 2021, 08:38 »
Yeah I had seen that, it looks amazing! How much did it cost? (If you don't mind me asking).

£175 + Postage then there's an exchange option for £100 deposit where they send you a wheel out so you can swap them same day.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 29 December 2021, 11:39 »

£175 + Postage then there's an exchange option for £100 deposit where they send you a wheel out so you can swap them same day.

Wow, that is really good value for money tbh! I'm now so much more tempted than I was before! How did you find the installation?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 29 December 2021, 12:09 »
Regarding the interior, I would get the wheel re-trimmed Clubsport style and fit the MIB2.5 unit. I have done the latter and it looks great and goes well with the analogue dials.

Brake wise, the PP brakes are heavy things. Racingline stage 2 brakes are far lighter which improves handling and they feel great too, good modulation.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2023, 10:33 by Paul70 »
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2021, 12:25 »
In your position I would stick with your car and improve the bits you don’t like as Watts said. Is your car DSG or Manual? The diff is a big job but the performance gain will be really noticeable, much more than the VAG diff. Regal quoted me £1750 for the diff, the bolts and the machining required to fit the diff, and that is without labour.

What rubber are you running, I would improve the rubber to improve traction. Engine mounts will significantly improve traction too, there’s a lot of movement with the standard mounts. 034 motorsports offer near OEM NVH but so much more control.

Increase negative camber will improve traction out of corners and improve steering feel too. Multiple options are available, CSS knuckles or camber top mounts.

Regarding the interior, I would get the wheel re-trimmed Clubsport style and fit the MIB2.5 unit. I have done the latter and it looks great and goes well with the analogue dials.

Brake wise, the PP brakes are heavy things. Racingline stage 2 brakes are far lighter which improves handling and they feel great too, good modulation.

I love all of these ideas, the only reason I want the PP brakes is just to keep it as relatively close to OEM as possible. I'm not overly bothered about having HUGE brakes as it's only running stage 1 and I don't intent to go any further so any additional stopping power is likely going to be a waste. With that said I'd rather spend that additional cost for the Racingline brakes on some lighter wheels which does someone contradict what I've just said but you get my point.

The steering wheel is definitely a must for me, the leather one now has lost that nice matte finish and no matter how many times or different ways I clean it, it just doesn't seem to want to come back.

Also the engine mounts are something I'm definitely looking into as I have heard really good things about them.
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2021, 13:04 »

Wow, that is really good value for money tbh! I'm now so much more tempted than I was before! How did you find the installation?

Yeah it was dead on, you have to remove the silver trim yourself though which is a long enough process. If you're near Aylesbury they can do it for you, if I were within an hour - 1h30 of them I'd make the drive instead.

With regard to the brake situation, big brakes are fine when driving on a track or pushing the car, but in stop start slow traffic they're a nightmare. But the way you're talking sounds like you want to reduce the overall unsprung weight of the car, which dynamically makes a massive difference throw in an Audi a3 / Clubsport s aluminium subframe and that's another 6kg lost.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2021, 13:58 »

Yeah it was dead on, you have to remove the silver trim yourself though which is a long enough process. If you're near Aylesbury they can do it for you, if I were within an hour - 1h30 of them I'd make the drive instead.

With regard to the brake situation, big brakes are fine when driving on a track or pushing the car, but in stop start slow traffic they're a nightmare. But the way you're talking sounds like you want to reduce the overall unsprung weight of the car, which dynamically makes a massive difference throw in an Audi a3 / Clubsport s aluminium subframe and that's another 6kg lost.

Sadly I'm a lot further north than they are so I'd have to do the exchange service but definitely something I'm going to do.

And yeah I'd rather save that weight through a nice set of wheels and if I do go down the PP brake route I'll throw on the CSS discs to keep the weight down.

The costs are adding up quickly  :grin:
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2021, 15:04 »
I love all of these ideas, the only reason I want the PP brakes is just to keep it as relatively close to OEM as possible. I'm not overly bothered about having HUGE brakes as it's only running stage 1 and I don't intent to go any further so any additional stopping power is likely going to be a waste. With that said I'd rather spend that additional cost for the Racingline brakes on some lighter wheels which does someone contradict what I've just said but you get my point.

The steering wheel is definitely a must for me, the leather one now has lost that nice matte finish and no matter how many times or different ways I clean it, it just doesn't seem to want to come back.

Also the engine mounts are something I'm definitely looking into as I have heard really good things about them.

That makes complete sense, lightweight wheels and good tyres are the most important, basically anything that rotates.

The Racingline stage 2 brake kit is not a track kit, it was designed for fast road and the discs are only 5 mm bigger than the PP ones. I think they look subtle but I know it’s subjective.

I may sell the Racingline brakes too, depends if I keep the ED40 or sell the ED45, one of them has to go and the decision is not an easy one for me.

« Last Edit: 21 November 2023, 10:31 by Paul70 »
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2021, 15:45 »
Focus on suspension, brakes, wheels and sticky tyres and you could have yourself a real weapon.

After all, how many folk (if there honest), make full use of the power of a standard GTI apart from short bursts.

Handling and stopping is where you'll gain most benefits.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2021, 15:47 by madstaff »
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2021, 17:56 »
Focus on suspension, brakes, wheels and sticky tyres and you could have yourself a real weapon.

After all, how many folk (if there honest), make full use of the power of a standard GTI apart from short bursts.

Handling and stopping is where you'll gain most benefits.

Got Goodyear F1s atm, working out pretty well but they'll be due to change in a few months so going to try the trusty PS4s.

Definitely want to do the upgraded shocks as well to go with my racingline springs.
Sold - 2019 Up GTI