Author Topic: when to wax again  (Read 1507 times)

Offline anson

• GTI forum regular
when to wax again
« on: 28 February 2009, 12:56 »
Hi  4 weeks ago I  clayed the car, polish and wax. How often would you think it would be before polish and wax again, as I have cleaned it about 3 times since and when drying there seems to be a film of wax on. Would I have to remove wax before polishing again.   
thanks for any reply
Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
Re: when to wax again
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2009, 13:41 »
If you want to, you can simply top up the wax after washing and drying the car as per usual. Don't clay or polish unless you want to get back to a clean base from which to start over.

It's generally taken that you shouldn't carry out correctional polishing more than 2-3x per year as each time you do this, you take a little clearcoat off. Polish too often too aggressively and you'll have clearcoat failure resulting in the need for a complete respray.

There's nothing stopping you from wash + dry + wax or wash + dry + clay + wax, bearing in mind the clay will remove all previous products used.

Offline anson

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2009, 14:03 »
Okay thanks for that good advice was a bit confused before on polishing, but thanks for clearing it up.
Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2009, 16:35 »
How often would you think it would be before polish and wax again...

Entirely depends on the wax used. For example...

Collinite  -  Months and months
Megs Spray Tech Wax  -  A week. Maybe. Just.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2009, 16:55 »
I clay, polish and wax my cars twice a yearish.

I always wash the with a mit and two buckets, and top up the wax with something like AG Aqua Wax every 2-3 weeks. You can use it as a drying aid, and it helps to maintain the shine and beading for a lot longer.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.