Author Topic: "Fastest" 8v  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Egg On Toast

• GTI forum regular
"Fastest" 8v
« on: 20 June 2011, 20:41 »
who owns it on here? what bhp and lbft is it running? What did you do to get it there? And I don't mean transplanted 20v turbos, I mean genuine, modified 8v GTIs!

Was having a chat with a mate of mine, and neither of us could decide the sort of gains to be had from one!

Anyoen care to enlighten me?

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
Re: "Fastest" 8v
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2011, 21:05 »
Mine when I'm finished. Supercharged and forged parts  :wink:

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2011, 21:10 »
who owns it on here? what bhp and lbft is it running? What did you do to get it there? And I don't mean transplanted 20v turbos, I mean genuine, modified 8v GTIs!

Was having a chat with a mate of mine, and neither of us could decide the sort of gains to be had from one!

Anyoen care to enlighten me?

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  :grin:

Nah not really,  mine is an 8v but a mk1 not a 3, actually I don't think anybody really knows who's is. that's for most motors on here to be honest.  Saw this post and thought i'd backup what wayne said.

I've got an early GTI Engineering motor badged up as Richard Lloyd racing. Its only an 1800 not a 2000 but with an RLR cam, ported and polished everything, modded throttlebody, supersprint 4 branch and system with custom backbox and a couple of other bits and bobs. Was confirmed at around 137 bhp on different rollers and and again when it hit 100k or so.  It needs work though now.  131k on the clock, a very long sleep and it's crying for a rebuild which will entertain you lot on here over the winter!  :lipsrsealed:

Mine when I'm finished. Supercharged and forged parts  :wink:

thats cheating  :grin:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2011, 21:52 »
Think Khare got 138 on simple breather mods - airfilter and backbox, and fast road cams. Thats pretty good tbf. Was thinking of camming mine whilst the engine is out but not entirely sure its worth it unless I can find a used set, as idle and low speed is very lumpy, and for them to work you need revs to be over 3k, so fuel bill rockets as well!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline mellow yellow

• I live here
  • A Driffield Dubber!
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2011, 21:52 »
didnt khares make good power?

edit, cheers sean beat me to it  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2011, 21:58 »
Yeah mine had made 138hp and 137ft-lb at Rtech's rolling road.

285 degrees Kent GS23H cam
Pipercross panel filter
Special khare airbox
1 box stainless steel cat back system

Would had made more had it been for a few more simple things like a remap (custom made not ebay chip) and ported the throttle body. I reckon 145hp at least was well within reach.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2011, 22:01 »
Mine with a modified airbox, pipercross panel filter and magnex cat back. 124.4bhp and 139 ft-lb:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2011, 22:02 »
So it wasn't completely standard then dom  :grin:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2011, 22:04 »
So it wasn't completely standard then dom  :grin:

:grin: Not quite, but nearly :wink:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2011, 22:05 »
Then my argument of a completely standard 8v producing 124hp being pretty optimistic stands  :wink:  :grin: