Author Topic: insurance for parking on the road?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
insurance for parking on the road?
« on: 23 October 2011, 15:28 »
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask,

whats the law to do with parking a taxed and mot'd car without insurance on the road that you won't be driving? Is there short term solution?

Basically i've got a new car coming and my current vehicle, due to having a ridiculous hasting essentials policy i can't add/change the vehicle on my policy, but the policy is up for renewal in december so i'll be waiting until then to put a years policy on the new car with 8yrs no claims. 

I'm looking at a 7 day policy to get the car to my house, but once this runs out I will not be insuring the car until my renewal date in december. My house is still waiting for the driveay to be completed so only on-road parking is available. Do i need to take out a policy for parking on the road and not using the vehicle? possibly the same as that of a sorn'd car?

Or would it be easier to park the mk2 on mums drive 30miles away until i can insure it at my renewal date in december? tax'd, mot'd and clamped :)

Offline Lewy

• I live here
Re: insurance for parking on the road?
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2011, 16:11 »
Thought you did law at University?

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2011, 16:55 »
definitely got me wrong mr lewis... i have a degree in colouring in, and work as a colourer-inner for Haribo...

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2011, 09:11 »
If it's on the road it needs to be insured as it is a public byway (or similar)

In order not to insure it, it must be declared SORN and parked off the road. So at your mums.

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2011, 09:25 »
Thanks!