Author Topic: Buying dilemma  (Read 2498 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Buying dilemma
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2024, 19:55 »

Cheers for the advice BillSan. Been looking mainly at cars from VW user approved garages so they come with a 2yr warranty - could be worth its wait in gold if and when needed. Seems like a lot of problems occur after software updates, I’m just wondering if the updates are actually needed. I’ve never been one for using satnav and radio much anyway so might get away without updates. Also seems like a new steering wheel solves a lot of problems, which is where the warranty will come in very useful.

Good to know how much you rate the car regardless of any software problems though, cheers.

It’d be worth checking your insurance in relation to not accepting OTA updates. My policy (with LV) has a specific exclusion of loss or damage arising in connection with failure to accept a car manufacturer’s OTA software updates.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline ianmair

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2024, 19:57 »
Sure I read on here that a new steering wheel to buy was c. £1800 so a warranty would be essential on a MK8 unless new wheel fitted IMO.
Personally I love my Mk7.5, I’ve had it just over 5 years from new and after 24k (touching a lot of wood here) the only issue I’ve had is the near side door mirror seems to go out of adjustment slightly after a few reverse position changes. It’s definitely a keeper.

Cheers for the advice Adam, you’re definitely right by saying a warranty is essential and the VW approved used 2yr warranty is a deal clincher when it comes down to which garage to buy from.

I do like the Mk7.5’s, they’re a brilliant car, I’m just always drawn to the newer model of anything! If I decide against a Mk8 I’ll definitely go for a 7.5.

Offline ianmair

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2024, 20:01 »
I had an early 2021 Mk 8 and I had very few issues with the bongs but it did make me nervous approaching the 3 year warranty expiring and I sold it. If approaching 3 years, in agreement with the others above already, personally I would advise an extended warranty.

If I do get a Mk8 it’ll be with a 2yr VW warranty, no doubt. Never been one for extending warranties but in this instance I’ll definitely be doing so after the 2yr is up. Like you say, being nervous about driving your car isn’t great so it’s a peace of mind thing really. Thanks for the advice mate.

Offline ianmair

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2024, 20:05 »

Cheers for the advice BillSan. Been looking mainly at cars from VW user approved garages so they come with a 2yr warranty - could be worth its wait in gold if and when needed. Seems like a lot of problems occur after software updates, I’m just wondering if the updates are actually needed. I’ve never been one for using satnav and radio much anyway so might get away without updates. Also seems like a new steering wheel solves a lot of problems, which is where the warranty will come in very useful.

Good to know how much you rate the car regardless of any software problems though, cheers.

It’d be worth checking your insurance in relation to not accepting OTA updates. My policy (with LV) has a specific exclusion of loss or damage arising in connection with failure to accept a car manufacturer’s OTA software updates.

Good point mate, never crossed my mind tbh, thanks for that.

Offline ianmair

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 23 January 2024, 20:17 »
Welcome ianmair
Is the car you’re interested in a VW Approved used? If you’re buying a mk8 that’s approaching the end of factory warranty make very sure any software (and by default hardware) issues are fully covered by whatever follow on warranty you’re getting.
I had a fairly early mk8 and had no issues other than an occasional random assist warning that appeared for a short time before vanishing again for two years of ownership and then had several months of bing bonging hell after a major software update. After that it was fine again and then after a new steering wheel was fitted it was pretty flawless. I had no other warranty claims in three years and the car drank very little oil between services.
The touchscreen system was universally panned but it’s not *that* bad. Little things like turning on heated seats is an unnecessary faff, as are other HVAC controls, but that depends on how much you like to fiddle with things on the move.

A late 7.5 would likely be better equipped and a more intuitive cabin experience but many of these are overpriced.

If you’re dead set on a mk8 then maybe see what sort of deal you could nail down on an in stock new car, it’s worth asking.

Thanks Exonian, some really good points for me to think about there. If I end up getting one it’ll almost certainly be from a VW approved used garage, as I have one here in Carlisle if the need to use it arises. The warranties VW offer are a good extra but you’re quite right in saying they’re only as good as what’s included in them! I will check when the time comes.

As with so many others I’ve read about, your problems came after a software update then disappeared after a new steering wheel, seems a very common occurrence.

I’m not much of a fiddler tbh whilst driving so not sure how much the buttonless controls would bother me. I took a Mk8 GTD out last week (they didn’t have a GTi available) and had to pull over just to find out how to turn the blowers down! Like with any new device though - phone, tablet, watch, etc - anything new can be hard to navigate but you soon get used to it.

I’m making notes as I go and my list is getting longer, so thanks very much for making me aware of some good queries!

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2024, 21:43 »
I should have mentioned earlier that I owned a 7.5GTI for several years before I bought my Mk8GTI.  I really liked the 7.5 it was perhaps better finished in some respects but I didn’t regret my change to the Mk8. I liked the lack of buttons and it had some nice touches, wireless phone charging,  rear usb ports, nice seats, phone pouches on the rear of the front seats, blind spot assist, and a map pocket on the passenger side of the centre console. It didn’t have a spare wheel and illuminated sill covers to name a few. I don’t know how others feel but overall I preferred the Mk8, the handling was excellent. These are details that stick with me having gone from one to the other.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2024, 21:45 »
One thing to be said... Despite the gremlins the Mk8 is really good to drive. Big improvement over the mk7.5. Very very nimble and chuckable!

I keep going back to thinking that vw almost got it perfect... Except for their terrible decision to in source their software development at exactly the wrong point in their model cycle...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2024, 08:45 »
No errors or bong at all on mine.

I think it depends what year you are looking at. Early ones sounds like they had more issues but later ones like mine seem to have sorted themselves out.

That’s reassuring to know, don’t often read posts saying no problems as it’s not something people would otherwise share unless asked! What date is yours please mate?

2022 but a MY23 model. Generally people don't post when nothing is wrong  :grin: so you will only read when something is wrong  :grin: Haven't needed anything doing to mine, no new steering wheel, no sensors changed, nothing. All software updates done OTA and none have caused an issue.
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2024, 09:07 »
One thing to be said... Despite the gremlins the Mk8 is really good to drive. Big improvement over the mk7.5. Very very nimble and chuckable!

I keep going back to thinking that vw almost got it perfect... Except for their terrible decision to in source their software development at exactly the wrong point in their model cycle...

And ride quality against the 7.5?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2024, 12:34 »

And ride quality against the 7.5?

Its pretty good. On par with the 7.5 at least, possibly better although I do have 19's on my 8 and only 18's on the 7.5.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC