Author Topic: fuel  (Read 1783 times)

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
Re: fuel
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2024, 16:50 »
thank you all, i only asked if it made any difference or if it was worth the extra, just to see if it helped to keep the engine running smoother and cleaner.
i do know that the filler cap will have the info.... :grin:

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2024, 19:24 »
My annual mileage is small so running higher cost RON 99 Shell V Power doesn’t really hit the wallet but hopefully the added detergents help. I ran with half a tank of E10 once as that’s all I could get to get me home, couldn’t tell any difference in performance TBH.

E10 will make no difference to a modern car vs the E5 of previous 95/98. It’s older cars where the higher ethanol content can damage the rubber/plastics that weren’t designed to handle it, but it’s been a long time since that was a concern in new cars. Everything newer than 2006 and made by VW has no issues with e10, and quite a lot from before that are fine too.

+1 for Costco 97. 10p a litre cheaper (at least) than 98 anywhere else, and the only reason 98 is specified is that it’s the typically available one for the UK, whereas 97 was typically rarer until more recently.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2024, 21:06 »
BP Ultimate is 97 and has the detergents plus is only 5p/l more than regular around here - to me better value than Shell v-power (which I always used in my previous TDI) and is 21p/l more than regular!!

Have to say I do get better mpg with 97/99.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 25 January 2024, 22:08 »
V-Power tends to be 14p more round me (W. Sussex), all other premiums are 10p more than the respective non-premium.

FYI all, I found an app called Petrol Prices which seems to be updated daily to view prices at each station, but sometimes premiums aren't updated.
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2024, 06:44 »
V-Power tends to be 14p more round me (W. Sussex), all other premiums are 10p more than the respective non-premium.

FYI all, I found an app called Petrol Prices which seems to be updated daily to view prices at each station, but sometimes premiums aren't updated.

If I'm out of my locality, I use petrol prices website to find somewhere reasonably cheap - it identified a Tesco extra that was only 5p dearer than Costco, 3 miles from Heathrow, as I was going to arrive back from my flight with the local Costco (Watford) closed for filling to get me back to Newcastle. Easy to use and usually accurate, as you can see when it was last updated.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2024, 21:36 »
The VW app also shows petrol prices but I don't know how regularly it is updated.  I've used the petrol prices app in the past but have used the VW app more recently.  No problem with either of them to be fair.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE