Author Topic: New MK8 GTi owner saying hi with some questions  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: New MK8 GTi owner saying hi with some questions
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2023, 22:28 »
The mk8 ECU seems to have a run in cycle as it feels like it holds back on power until you’ve done over 1000km (just over 600 miles).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline BingVW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 03 November 2023, 12:25 »
Thanks for all the replies folks, hopefully the car arrives next week. 

Another quick question can you de-active keyless entry?
Also does the car some with a tracker as standard?  If not what are people using as additional security measures?

Getting kinda excited now, it's been a while since I've had a GTi
Mk2 16v GTi - Past
Mk2 VR6 transplant - Past
Mk8 GTi  Moonstone grey- Current
997 Turbo manual - Cobolt Blue- Current

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 03 November 2023, 12:52 »
You can disable keyless entry in the menus, but its not the problem it used to be as it uses a different modern keyless system unlike the ones you see getting nicked. I wrote a big long technical write up on it on here.

No it doesn't have a tracker you can rely on. It has a thing where you can find your car with the VW app but its disabled really easily in the menus - its not a security system, just a convenience one.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 03 November 2023, 13:40 »

Also does the car some with a tracker as standard?  If not what are people using as additional security measures?

I use a Global Telemetrics system in mine (been using them for over 13 years).Never any issues with service and they will call you if the car is being moved without the key etc. (as I found out when a previous car (not a VW) broke down and it an I were transported home by the AA)
Added benefit is I can immobilise the car remotely from my phone. 
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline BingVW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 03 November 2023, 13:45 »

I use a Global Telemetrics system in mine (been using them for over 13 years).Never any issues with service and they will call you if the car is being moved without the key etc. (as I found out when a previous car (not a VW) broke down and it an I were transported home by the AA)

Interesting, so how does the Global Telemetrics system work, do they install a tracker/device in the car which can be armed/disarmed and tracked via the app on the phone?
Mk2 16v GTi - Past

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 03 November 2023, 13:59 »

Interesting, so how does the Global Telemetrics system work, do they install a tracker/device in the car which can be armed/disarmed and tracked via the app on the phone?

That’s basically it, device installed by fitter and account activated by GT. Download App and you can see where car is and also immobilise / mobilise from the App.
It also records journeys and speed (via GPS so very accurate)and gives battery charge data.
I’ve no experience of other systems so can’t really compare but it works for me.
ISTR fitting was about £250 and annual subscription is about £150.
Does allow a reduced insurance premium as well.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Perky

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 04 November 2023, 16:59 »

Get a Ghost fitted  :smiley:

Offline BingVW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 06 November 2023, 17:27 »
It's arrived!!!!

Library pic, it's a moonstone grey GTi but you get the idea.  Driven about 40/50 miles today so far not bad.  And obviously I have a few questions:-

What is the best fuel to use regular or super unleaded?
Correct tyre pressures?  When I select the tyre pressure options on the infotainment it says something about setting them
Is there a way to make the fonts on the infotainment system larger?
Mk2 16v GTi - Past

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 06 November 2023, 17:59 »
Best colour  :whistle:

Its fine on E10. Nothing to be gained from spending more.

Tyre pressures are written inside of the drivers door B pillar... set them then use the menu option to record them for the pressure monitoring system to work.

No you can't make the fonts bigger.... try changing the colours around. I recommend the dark mode (black background) much easier to read and at night doesn't blind you with a big white screen!

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BingVW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 06 November 2023, 22:50 »
Cheers guys....

Sooooo......just been out for another little run, well another 80 miles actually - lol

The car is so effortless to drive, low down torque is awesome, having said that I've not really opened her up and made her scream yet (still running in) - LOL First impressions she reminds me of a baby 911 Turbo with DSG if that makes sense.

Oh I have a few more questions:-

What is that triangle sign that keeps appearing in the bottom right hand corner next to the speed limit sign and can it be switched off?
Can that speed limit sign in the bottom right hand corner be switched off?  I know the limits here I drive the roads daily!!!!

On a plus note thay G force meter design looks awesome!!!! 
Mk2 16v GTi - Past