Author Topic: New MK8 GTi owner saying hi with some questions  (Read 5578 times)

Offline BingVW

• Not said much yet
New MK8 GTi owner saying hi with some questions
« on: 25 October 2023, 15:23 »
Hi all,

I get my new MK8 GTi in the next couple of weeks and had some questions as the last time I had a GTi was the was in 96 and that was the Mk2 16v version, so excited to try a new modern version!!!!!

Is there a running in period/procedure and does it need a service after it, i.e after the first 1000 miles etc?
Is there a way to turn lane assist off with ease?
Is there a way to turn start/stop off with ease?
Where is the red line?
Can you set 2 driver profiles i.e 1 for me and another for the mrs?

I'm sure there will be more questions as I get acquainted with the car.......

Thanks in advance B
« Last Edit: 25 October 2023, 15:30 by BingVW »
Mk2 16v GTi - Past
Mk2 VR6 transplant - Past
Mk8 GTi  Moonstone grey- Current
997 Turbo manual - Cobolt Blue- Current

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: New MK8 GTi owner saying hi with some questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2023, 16:14 »
Is there a running in period/procedure and does it need a service after it, i.e after the first 1000 miles etc?

Lots of debate on the running in question, but generally speaking new cars these days don't need that kind of baby'ing. I wouldn't be red-lining it and driving it like you stole it for the first few hundred miles but wouldn't be over cautious either. Common sense applies. A 1K service is not required.

Is there a way to turn lane assist off with ease?

It's a bit of a faff, but the easiest thing to do is get OBDEleven and you can set it to permanently remember your last setting (i.e. OFF).

Is there a way to turn start/stop off with ease?

Again OBD11 might be your friend here but I haven't found stop/start to bothersome in the MK8. I don't think it ever kicks in either if gearbox is in Sport, which I have a lot of the time.

Can you set 2 driver profiles i.e 1 for me and another for the mrs?

Yes you can link it to the keys.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2023, 16:57 »
Yeah OBD11 will let you make it remember your lane assist setting

No you can't disable start stop permanently. Assuming you have DSG it doesn't really get in your way anyhow. As Joe said, it doesn't activate in sport mode.... so flick the chicken nugget to S!

Profiles yes, do it with the keys is easiest. One key for you, one for your Mrs.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2023, 21:04 »
Welcome Bing  :smiley:

Having owned examples of all Golf models over the centuries I can tell you the 245 PS mk8 GTI is closer to an 8v mk2 GTI than the 16v. The Clubsport is more akin to the 16v except that the Clubby is far more flexible.
I never rated the 16v, I had one and it didn’t impress me, too much like hard work to get the performance out of it unless on track.
The mk8 GTI 245 is the opposite. Don’t worry about where the red line is, the turbo is all over by about 5000 rpm. The Clubsport pulls until over 6000rpm with the red line at 6500.
In either car the gearbox will change up for you when you run out of revs.
Better to use the 245 GTI engine progressively, spooling the turbo and using its impressive torque characteristics.

I never had an issue with stop/start, keep the DSG in Sport as Joe and fredgroves suggest to stop it kicking in, or just embrace it. After a while you barely notice it.

Lane Assist I do have an issue with.
Press Start, press the tip of the left (indicator) stalk, press ‘ok’ on the steering wheel and it’s gone. That takes literally a couple of seconds but has to be done on every ignition cycle.
As above, if you want it off permanently then you’ll have to invest in OBD Eleven.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2023, 21:10 »
I can tell you haven't had the Mk8 delivered yet. 

Your name will be BongVW after that. 
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2023, 22:13 »

I thought that too  :grin:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2023, 08:01 »
That’ll cheer him up.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2023, 14:53 »

Such as used to seeing the word, actually read the name as bong and thought someone was being ironic  :grin:

Lets hope fate is kind and he can Bing but not Bong  :grin: (This is all very British, imagine some of our continental viewers are wondering what's so funny)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline BingVW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2023, 22:27 »
Cheers guys...looking forward to getting my new ride.

Mk2 16v GTi - Past
Mk2 VR6 transplant - Past
Mk8 GTi  Moonstone grey- Current
997 Turbo manual - Cobolt Blue- Current

Offline Hissinsid

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2023, 21:34 »
Yes you do need to run it in.  It tells you in the manual and it tells you from what mileage milestones to start opening it up to different levels.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a modern car.  It’s a new engine, transmission, suspension, tyres and brakes. I had to run my 992 in for 1800 miles for example.  I think it was about a 1000 on my wife’s Mk8 clubby.  Manufacturers can download the data too.

As others have said, doesn’t need a service after 1000 miles.

« Last Edit: 29 October 2023, 21:45 by Hissinsid »