Author Topic: rattles and creeks  (Read 2580 times)

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
rattles and creeks
« on: 19 October 2023, 21:43 »
hi all, has anybody found a solution for the random annoying rattles from the doors, pillars, parcel shelf....etc ..especially on colder mornings as the tyres are not up to temp. tried silicone spray on seals, but its only a temporary fix.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: rattles and creeks
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2023, 20:40 »
If you’re getting squeaking from the door seals, DON’T use silicone! I worked out that it is purely coming from the upper seals that have the fuzzy coating, it can be 100% stopped by spraying them with Normfest Dry Lubricant spray, give them a clean first though, may also need reapplying periodically,
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/normfest-tt-power-dry-lubricant-400ml-nor2897447?gbraid=0AAAAADtXekY6Fp2bTYmHa1NzyQCneY2AJ&amp
I’ve not had any trouble with the parcel shelf, I did have some small rattle/buzzing from the front doors, I took the door cards off and used Tesa fabric loom tape to make sure everything such as wires or clips were tight and secure, I also a few days ago removed the rear vent surround and made sure everything there was also tight and solid, as I was getting a very annoying buzz over some road surfaces, which was coming from the side panels of the rearward part of the centre console between the seat belt buckles and the rear vents, I used two 5 inch strips of UPVC window security foam tape stuck inside those panels, completely stopped it! I tend to get a tad obsessed with finding these little noises, and have been known to go around the whole interior of previous cars I’ve owned, tapping everything, if it makes an unwelcome sound I set about stopping it with foam/tape/glue/cable ties etc. 🙄
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2023, 13:59 »
thanks for your reply and info, so i tried the spray today, and it seems to be working,  :smiley: and yes i will have to spray this periodically, but this has helped it to quieten down and making the ride more enjoyable. :nerd:

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2023, 13:20 »
I've got some rattling/creaking from what appears to be the dash centre speaker area and from the drivers side around the top of the door or it could be the seatbelt 'hinge'

Sound familiar to anyone?

I am very prone to picking up on and getting very annoyed by rattles and squeaks and having come from an 8 series that had never had a single one, the Golf is becoming a bit tiresome. Although I have to add that most passengers don't even pick up on these noises!
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2023, 13:30 »
I had a rattle (it's back) from around the seatbelt attachment/adjuster. After lubricating the door seals it went and was gone over a year.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2023, 20:47 »
i still think, most of it is down to the window mechanism, proof is that, if i have the window slightly open/down... the noise/creeks disappear.

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2023, 15:40 »
I had a rattle (it's back) from around the seatbelt attachment/adjuster. After lubricating the door seals it went and was gone over a year.

This is exactly what I have! What lube did you use mate?
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2023, 20:30 »

This is exactly what I have! What lube did you use mate?

VW's Krytox however it's made for many other companies too. It's pricey but you'll be amazed at how far a small bottle goes. Plus it lasts well although annual application is probably ideal.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2023, 00:55 »
My drivers door trim at the top just below the window and at the back of the door has started to rattle. If I put just one finger on it it stops for s as long as I hold it. I’ll look for a solution this weekend.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2023, 17:29 »
just a quick update, i have tried numerous products as suggested on forums, and you tube videos, but the one that works for me eventually is GT85...this has stopped all the squeaks and rattles, and can be used on protecting underbody springs and joints. happy days.....only £2.75 a can.
try it and report back.
sprayed all around door seals, including top end of widow seal and a quick light wipe off.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2023, 17:38 by joey »