Author Topic: Knocking sound  (Read 1082 times)

Offline JackGC

• Just got here
Knocking sound
« on: 03 June 2021, 22:22 »
Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here!

I’ve recently picked up my first ever GTI, and from a driving perspective I’m pleased as punch! Blasting through the country lanes in my native South West has been fantastic and it’s a real machine, a huge upgrade from my previous mk5 diesel!

I’ve noticed the usual software issues which will need to be fixed soon, Phone SOS and traffic alerts both acting up. I’ve done my research and this isn’t a surprise, however I’m experiencing a strange knocking/tapping.

I’d liken it to the sound a stone would make on the windscreen and the sound seems to come from the upper central console where the rear mirror sits. Instinct tells me this likely relates to my phone SOS issues but I wondered if anyone had any experience or thoughts before I go back guns blazing to my local dealer?

Offline massimo23

• Not said much yet
Re: Knocking sound
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2021, 22:32 »
The knocking sound could be coming from the centre speaker in the top-centre of the dashboard. The Emergency call unit is connected to this speaker only so you could be right about the SOS issue...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2021, 22:50 »
Knocking? Could you describe it as "popping"?

I've heard of that numerous times, for example:

https://www.golfmk8.com/forums/index.php?threads/software-issues-affecting-sos-emergency-calling.377892/
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline massimo23

• Not said much yet

Offline JackGC

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2021, 22:10 »
Thanks very much chaps, all booked in to be looked at now.

Known issues are a double edged sword, on the one hand it’s annoying to be struck down by something so simple but it’s nice to know I’m not on my own!

Slight trepidation on how well the mechanics will do at fixing this permanently, most seem to have gone through multiple times! Still will wait patiently and enjoy the flawless performance mechanically while the software bongs at me every other time I start up!