Author Topic: MYSTERY NUMBER  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
Re: MYSTERY NUMBER
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2021, 22:51 »
Yes, Fred it was very useful comparing my car's problems with others on here and elsewhere, and it was helpful to see the various info on software updates. In fact, on a couple of occasions, it was clear that I had more up to date info than some of the service staff at the dealership, which I'm sure must have been pretty embarrassing for them.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 28 May 2021, 01:09 by Sniffer »
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2021, 08:52 »
Thanks for the update on the white one. Mines going into dealers next week for the third time.

What were the software problems you were having?

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2021, 12:40 »
Thanks for the update on the white one. Mines going into dealers next week for the third time.

What were the software problems you were having?

The same issues as others have mentioned on here eg:

SOS Control module faults;
Travel Assist various faults;
Park Distance Control worked only when it felt like it;
Electronic Handbrake intermittent fault;
Infotainment system frequently froze; and
Random Emergency Braking application was the final straw.

Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2021, 13:52 »
Its hard to say even now what the hell was going on with cars like you describe.

It seems to have been a combination of badly designed generations of some of the controller/subsystems and software integration/version problems over the top.

They definitely made some progress in fixing it for newer cars - eg mine is better than you describe and ones from BW49 2020 (November) onwards seem to be actually fully stable and working as designed.

What is crap is VW not coming out, saying that and offering to fix/replace cars made before then.

If you think its bad for performance models, remember the boggo Mk8 had been out for over a year before. They sold quite a few and have a lot of very angry customers and still they can't bring themselves to say wtf went wrong.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2021, 14:37 »
Unrelated to the MK8 I know but don't get me started on VW's crap customer service.

I had a rather large row yesterday with my dealer who I ordered my new Tiguan R Line from back in Mid Feb (to replace the current GTI). At the time I was quoted 12-14 weeks. I felt it was weird that even after 6-7 weeks on order, I still didn't have a confirmed build date. My dealer told me it was on his system as unconfirmed Week 26, but he still expected it to come forward. Not great as that still meant an approximate 22 week delivery (and I was promised don't forget 12-14 weeks).

Well fast forward to yesterday and after 14 weeks I still don't have a confirmed build date, so asked to speak to the dealer manager to see what the hell was going on, as if we are in Week 22 next week, and the car was supposed to be build Week 26, the SURELY it should now be showing a build week. Well no....So to be fair to him, he emailed someone senior at Milton Keynes, and actually copied me verbatim in the reply he received, even the dealership were staggered. Basically this guy from MK, said that as my car had now been converted into a MY22 vehicle, it was still sitting as unconfirmed build week 39 !!! When my dealer challenged them, he just said nonchalantly..."oh, were you not told that...sorry. Please apologise to your customer". So assuming approx 4 weeks from build to arriving - that would be Week 43 so that would be 36 weeks build (or 9 months) for a bloody cooking model Tiguan.

I've told them to shove it and cancelled the order and got my deposit back. Just now waiting to fully calm down this weekend before I make a decision as to if I just keep the GTI and run it into the ground, or for the 1st time in 16 years, leave VW for another brand.

Rant over.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2021, 16:43 »
Starting to vw are just crap. Car arrived at dealers last weekend and I’m still waiting for the finance docs to sign! Keep getting told there are delays radon from the docs with vwfs at the moment. For 5 days? Seriously?!
I even asked if the car was ok as I started to suspect they were stalling for some reason.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2021, 17:01 »
Sooty, I suspect your order got knocked back due to semiconductor shortages...

I've seen nothing on how VW are coping with it specifically.... I've seen how some others are, by reducing/cancelling options.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline G3neralBanter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2021, 18:07 »
I had a new gateway controller unit fitted last week and touch wood since then it has resolved all the software related bugs.

I got the impression the whole UI was a fresh install which the cynic in me thinks that could have been what’s solved most of them rather than this mysterious controller…

I came within minutes of rejecting the car (it’s been in the garage for 6 days since I took delivery) but all being well as long as none of them return I have a fully functioning car finally…well minus climate sync  :grin: