Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48861 times)

Offline davyk31

• I live here
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #210 on: 13 February 2021, 14:06 »
A lot of the reviews refer to a 4K price diffenence which isn’t really fair given a good part of that cost is for DSG. Compared to a DSG standard GTI the difference is relatively small and well worth it especially as I expect the CS to be more desirable second hand and thus hold its value better.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #211 on: 13 February 2021, 14:09 »
Depends on what your priorities are, most people don't buy a golf gti because it's the fastest or best handling...

If I don't run the clubby on 98, am I seeing much difference?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #212 on: 13 February 2021, 14:49 »
why do people buy a GTI if not for power and handling?  Is the mk8 becoming the new mk4  :cry:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #213 on: 13 February 2021, 14:55 »
I'd argue a lot of people buy it for the badge and the equipment level.

If you wanted handling and performance, everyone would buy something else, a type R probably.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #214 on: 13 February 2021, 15:29 »
I'd argue a lot of people buy it for the badge and the equipment level.

You could say the same for almost any performance car.
I would think most golf gti buyers would have some interest in the dynamic abilities of the car, though , yes, it does have broader appeal than many alternatives
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #215 on: 13 February 2021, 15:52 »
Yeah it can't totally suck but on the other hand as we've said numerous times it's never been the ultimate driving machine...

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #216 on: 13 February 2021, 17:26 »

Apparently the photos aren’t of the car they tested. Something is a bit odd there though. Does feel a bit clipped together.

Hmmm, I smell a rat!

A shame really as pistonheads reviews are normally good, or the odd one or two I’ve previously read (from links on here) have been at least.
Depends on what your priorities are, most people don't buy a golf gti because it's the fastest or best handling...

If I don't run the clubby on 98, am I seeing much difference?

The higher state of tune (as opposed to the 245 engine) works better on higher RON stuff but it’ll run happily enough on 95, especially just pootling around in cooler weather. Driving hard in warm weather might lead to retardation to stop detonation possibly. I get your point though, although enthusiast owners (us lot) will generally insist on using Momentum and V-Power, the average cheap lease company car driver won’t be arsed and won’t notice a difference.

why do people buy a GTI if not for power and handling?  Is the mk8 becoming the new mk4  :cry:

The modern GTI appeals to a really broad spectrum of people where the mk4 GTI mostly appealed to image conscious women until the tuners started releasing decent power out of the 1.8t engine.
There was a big gulf opened up between the GTI and R in the mk7 days so VW addressed that. Unfortunately their solution made those 290 bhp versions more expensive than an R to buy (new) when discounts and leases were taken into consideration.
VW have now come up with a staggered model line up with a clear price gap between models.
The basic mk8 GTI is praised for its handling in every road test I’ve seen and as usual its performance belies its on paper power deficit. It’s no mk4 GTI.
Most likely every road test of an R will decry the Clubsport as ‘pointless’ next to it which will miss the point completely. A Clubsport is a very fast GTI out of the box where an R is just a fast competent Golf unless you throw £5k of extras at it to make it what it wants/needs to be.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #217 on: 13 February 2021, 18:14 »

Apparently the photos aren’t of the car they tested. Something is a bit odd there though. Does feel a bit clipped together.

Hmmm, I smell a rat!

Reviewer working from home  :lipsrsealed:
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #218 on: 15 February 2021, 18:23 »
https://youtu.be/42fi7Wyk1Ks

Thomas is back again.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #219 on: 16 February 2021, 14:46 »
https://youtu.be/42fi7Wyk1Ks

Thomas is back again.

Do you get the feeling he much preferred the R?
Not exactly ideal conditions for a 300PS FWD’er I know but even so...

Having said that, the R he tested was a full spec one which makes a big difference IMO.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner