Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48823 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #60 on: 29 December 2020, 11:54 »
Our previously mute friend from a few days ago seems to have rediscovered his voice and has posted another video  :smiley:

https://youtu.be/pCLq6wStcrg

Saw this the other day. Didn’t feel brave enough to post another of his videos! Thanks for taking the responsibility on...  :grin:

He must have taken it down and re-uploaded then, as this was only posted an hour ago 🤷‍♂️

Excellent! Great find there. Got to be better than the last one....
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 29 December 2020, 12:18 »
Our previously mute friend from a few days ago seems to have rediscovered his voice and has posted another video  :smiley:

Saw this the other day. Didn’t feel brave enough to post another of his videos! Thanks for taking the responsibility on...  :grin:

He must have taken it down and re-uploaded then, as this was only posted an hour ago 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't quite go that far. I think Mat Watson's job is safe for now  :grin:
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 29 December 2020, 12:19 »

I wouldn't quite go that far. I think Mat Watson's job is safe for now  :grin:

:grin:

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #63 on: 29 December 2020, 18:26 »
After watching that video again I know the route where he’s driving. It’s the test drive route that Vw Blackburn use. The same route I test drove an R on before I bought it, when I was going backwards and forwards between another gti or an R! Cracking road that.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 12 January 2021, 13:34 »
https://youtu.be/9CTT-G-8gPM

Flip knows what’s he’s saying but the car looks quite nice and the snow driving looks fun  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #65 on: 20 January 2021, 09:41 »
Hi all,

New Clubsport written review by Top Gear.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-mk7/20-tsi-300-gti-clubsport-5dr-dsg/first-drive

Not sure why there’s been hardly any video reviews of this car when some people already have their cars. Maybe COVID related.
Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #66 on: 20 January 2021, 10:47 »
Hi all,

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-mk7/20-tsi-300-gti-clubsport-5dr-dsg/first-drive

Not sure why there’s been hardly any video reviews of this car when some people already have their cars. Maybe COVID related.

I think a lot of people don't want to be seen as doing anything breaking the lockdown rules.

Good review though although this question remains an unknown:

Did your car have the DCC adaptive dampers?

Ah, a key question. No, it didn’t. Without them it’s good, but with the £785 option I do wonder if the Clubsport has more bandwidth. Certainly VW says DCC is designed to work in harmony with various driving modes and the VAQ differential, so it’s altogether possible it might come together better with DCC.

Beyond the usual DCC is pointless/essential chat that we have endlessly on this forum, there is this nagging thing from the Mk8 articles early on about how DCC works in conjunction with the new vehicle dynamics manager that controls VAQ, throttle, wheel braking etc etc.

You'd absolutely need to drive an identical car with and without DCC back to back to determine what that actually means.

I think it might well be more than just "i can set the car nice and soft to take granny to collect her pension"
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #67 on: 20 January 2021, 11:04 »
Hi all,

I think a lot of people don't want to be seen as doing anything breaking the lockdown rules.

Good review though although this question remains an unknown:

Did your car have the DCC adaptive dampers?

Ah, a key question. No, it didn’t. Without them it’s good, but with the £785 option I do wonder if the Clubsport has more bandwidth. Certainly VW says DCC is designed to work in harmony with various driving modes and the VAQ differential, so it’s altogether possible it might come together better with DCC.

Beyond the usual DCC is pointless/essential chat that we have endlessly on this forum, there is this nagging thing from the Mk8 articles early on about how DCC works in conjunction with the new vehicle dynamics manager that controls VAQ, throttle, wheel braking etc etc.

You'd absolutely need to drive an identical car with and without DCC back to back to determine what that actually means.

I think it might well be more than just "i can set the car nice and soft to take granny to collect her pension"

Yeah I think like you said you’d need to drive them back to back. I really wanted to spec DCC on my car but it would put me over my company car budget and I really hate those Richmond wheels, there was a deal on metallic paint so optioning pure white wouldn’t have made much of a difference.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #68 on: 20 January 2021, 11:26 »
From the VW press release on the standard GTI:

The new Vehicle Dynamics Manager control system makes its debut in the Golf GTI, controlling the XDS® electronic differential lock, the VAQ electronically-controlled, torque-sensing, limited-slip differential that is now standard, and also the lateral dynamics of the optional DCC® adaptive damping system. Drivers can customize their setup using the standard driving mode selection feature and a more finely adjustable DCC system. Sharper driving dynamics guarantee an enhanced and unadulterated driving experience as the eighth Golf GTI handles extremely accurately, virtually eliminating understeer. 

Something I have noticed rumaging through the instruction book (which covers all performance Mk8's - GTE, GTD, GTI,Clubby and R) is that there is no mention of setting up an individual driving profile with VAQ options - like there was on Mk7.x GTI PP's.

This may be just a general ommission, because the user guide doesn't actually tell you anything about any of the menu contents - eg the car setup menu doesn't say WHAT you can change in there when quite clearly it will have time, date, units etc as well as a load of other things.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #69 on: 20 January 2021, 11:47 »
From the VW press release on the standard GTI:

The new Vehicle Dynamics Manager control system makes its debut in the Golf GTI, controlling the XDS® electronic differential lock, the VAQ electronically-controlled, torque-sensing, limited-slip differential that is now standard, and also the lateral dynamics of the optional DCC® adaptive damping system. Drivers can customize their setup using the standard driving mode selection feature and a more finely adjustable DCC system. Sharper driving dynamics guarantee an enhanced and unadulterated driving experience as the eighth Golf GTI handles extremely accurately, virtually eliminating understeer. 

Something I have noticed rumaging through the instruction book (which covers all performance Mk8's - GTE, GTD, GTI,Clubby and R) is that there is no mention of setting up an individual driving profile with VAQ options - like there was on Mk7.x GTI PP's.

This may be just a general ommission, because the user guide doesn't actually tell you anything about any of the menu contents - eg the car setup menu doesn't say WHAT you can change in there when quite clearly it will have time, date, units etc as well as a load of other things.

I seem to remember seeing a YouTube video where someone selected an individual setting. I’ll see if I can find it.