Author Topic: Failed its MOT Bloomin Flo Flex Top Mounts  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
Failed its MOT Bloomin Flo Flex Top Mounts
« on: 31 August 2010, 13:42 »
Car failed the MOT today  :sad:

Too much play in the front top mounts.

They are fairly new Flo Flex poly top mounts. Had a look on the ramp and they are ok with the weight on the wheels but as soon as you take the weight off the wheels the whole assembly drops down from the turret top. Stripped one down to see what was happening and to check that they are ok. All assembled correctly and no visible wear or damage. Only thing I could think of was that they aren't thick enough. Spoke to Flo Flex who said they were aware of the problem and have manufactured an insert to fit into the two halves of the top mount to take up the slack and solve the problem. They are sending them out FOC tonight.

Its a bit annoying that they have sold a product not fit for purpose and I've been driving around like that since march but at least they have a solution.

Paul

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Failed its MOT Bloomin Flo Flex Top Mounts
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2010, 15:33 »
Ah but do you have the solution for free?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2010, 16:23 »
They are sending them out FOC tonight.

:wink:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2010, 16:24 »
Ah but do you have the solution for free?
No I've got to do the work and pay for a partial re-test. When I mentioned that to them they said they wouldn't pay for any of the work but would refund my purchase price if I sent them back.
On the plus side the inserts can be fitted from the top without undoing the bottom of the struts.
Also measured the recommended Bilstein spring plate heaight and I'm about 14mm lower than that so this will also not be helping matters :sad:
Should all be MOT'd again by the end of the week and ready for another years thrashing.

Paul

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2010, 21:39 »
Utter piece of sh1t flo flex mounts. Received the 4mm spacers and fitted them. These solved the demounting problem and it past the mot but they have obviously been designed by someone who doesn't know how the top mount is meant to work.
The spacer fits between the two halves of the flow flex mount on top of the threaded bush. the spacer fits tight into the lip in the strut tower and the hole in the spacer is the same dia as the coilover piston rod. It allows for turning movement but no forward or backwards movement of the coilovers when the wheel turns. The bottom half of the top mount is now loose and you can turn it easily even with the weight of the car on. This is because the threaded bush now sits on the spacer and not the bottom of the top mount.
Took it apart again today and in the space of 4 miles to the mot and back the spacers have bowed and the bearings have both broken.
Fitted the old rubber top mounts and bearings for Fridays trackday and am now looking for something else to replace them if anyone has any recommendations.
No answer from my email complaint to flo flex yet.

Paul

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2010, 10:56 »
ally topmounts with bearings would work really well with your billies, plus you can add some caster to the front  :cool:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2010, 11:03 »
Think I'll stick with my G60 ones! :grin:

Nick

Offline s1monc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2010, 14:55 »
Glad i didn't waste my money on a Flo flex front engine mount on e-bay £99 ! Went for Vibratechnics,a lot more money but worth it i suspect. At least we know to steer clear of flo flex products !

Simon.