Author Topic: Noisy Air Pump Mk4 GTI T  (Read 1631 times)

Offline fleg

• Not said much yet
Noisy Air Pump Mk4 GTI T
« on: 24 July 2013, 13:55 »
Hey,

When my car is on choke the air pump is noisy as hell, whistling almost. Also I've noticed that since this noise started (I think it is since this noise started anyway...) the car judders and splutters on choke also. Could this be a connected issue?

How difficult a job is changing the air pump?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Noisy Air Pump Mk4 GTI T
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2013, 17:37 »
There is a guide in the mk4 section on how to fix it I'm sure  :smiley:

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2013, 18:11 »
The secondary airpump is down behind the right hand side foglight if I remember correctly, it's main purpose is to push fresh air from the airbox into the exhaust to reduce emissions which only runs when the car is warming up. There may be other reasons for it but that's all I know of.
I have disconnected the one on a Passat I used to drive as it was wrecked from water getting inside and created an almighty noise when the car was cold.

To change the pump you should just need to remove the foglight and engine tray, disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses from the pump with your fingers, remove the plug from the back of the pump then remove the 3 nuts that hold it in-place. And installation is in reverse of course.  :rolleyes:

Here's a tutorial: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/141240.aspx
« Last Edit: 24 July 2013, 18:15 by DCmk3 »

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2013, 18:20 »
The secondary airpump is down behind the right hand side foglight if I remember correctly, it's main purpose is to push fresh air from the airbox into the exhaust to reduce emissions which only runs when the car is warming up. There may be other reasons for it but that's all I know of.
I have disconnected the one on a Passat I used to drive as it was wrecked from water getting inside and created an almighty noise when the car was cold.

To change the pump you should just need to remove the foglight and engine tray, disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses from the pump with your fingers, remove the plug from the back of the pump then remove the 3 nuts that hold it in-place. And installation is in reverse of course.  :rolleyes:

Ignore this guy, it's nowhere near the fog light (which is inside the headlights on the MK4) :lipsrsealed:

With the car jacked up look up towards the oil filter and you'll see it. It's a bit of a pig to get out of the bracket, I found that opening the pump while it was still on the car made it a bit easier.

If you want to repair it then have a look at this guide:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/141240.aspx

If you want to remove it and the associated pipework then have a look here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4893472-DIY-Ultimate-SAI-N249-PCV-EVAP-Delete

You'll need one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAI-Secondary-Air-Injection-Blanking-Plate-VW-AUDI-SKODA-SEAT-1-8T-VAG-/160969767686?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257a8bbb06

and a 10w330ohm resistor.

It tidies up the bay a bit and eliminates some unnecessary hoses.

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2013, 18:24 »
Ignore this guy, it's nowhere near the fog light (which is inside the headlights on the MK4) :lipsrsealed:

:grin: My bad, I assumed it's the same as the Passat since most of the car is similar including engine.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2013, 18:26 »

:grin: My bad, I assumed it's the same as the Passat since most of the car is similar including engine.
Wrong again  :laugh:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2013, 18:40 »
Passat also has fog lights built into headlights :lipsrsealed: :grin:

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2013, 19:50 »
Im talking about the B5.5 passat..  :rolleyes:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2013, 19:57 »
Im talking about the B5.5 passat..  :rolleyes:

If you can show me a UK spec b5.5 with fog lights in the lower bumper that have not been retrofitted then I'll take it all back :wink:

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2013, 22:35 »
Not sure about the UK but we have them here  :laugh: