Author Topic: Attention all PD drivers!!!!!  (Read 2216 times)

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Attention all PD drivers!!!!!
« on: 09 October 2003, 16:10 »
No longer do the petrol-powered boys have all the premium-fuel fun with their super plus and their Optimax!!

As reported elsewhere on the forum, BP have launched a petrol called Ultimate, which is their equivalent to Shell's Optimax. Where they have gone one better than Shell is they also produce an Ultimate diesel!

http://www.bp.com/ultimate/uk/diesel/default.asp

I have just checked, and the BP on Watford Way @ Mill Hill has it, which is on my way home. So, I'll gas up, thrash my car all the way home, and report on the results tomorrow!

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Nimrod

• Not said much yet
Re:Attention all PD drivers!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2003, 16:18 »
Glory be!  I'm just going to drive up and down the M3 tonight so I can empty my current tank and get some of that new motion lotion myself.  can't wait to see what it does!

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2003, 16:29 »
Motion Lotion!! LOL!!!  8)

Offline Nimrod

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2003, 20:29 »
I couldn't wait.  I had half a tank left and I topped up with Ultimate, so I won't notice anything really yet.  The bizarre thing was that Ultimate was the same price as the regular diesel, maybe it's on promotion, but then again the petrol equivalent was more than the bog-standard unleaded.  The chap in the shop didn't have any idea why it's the same price.

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2003, 09:26 »
I drove the 8 miles from my office to the BP on watford way with a leaden right foot, to try and burn up the fuel I had left in the tank - the fuel light came on just as I pulled onto the forecourt  ;)

Filled up with Ultimate (which was 3p/litre more expensive, 82.9 vs 79.9 for reg diesel).

Now.....I tried to be subjective about the improvements, but knowing that I should be expecting an improvement, I couldn't figure out if it was a real difference or not.

It felt much smoother, quiter at cruise and boost ramped up more easily/quicker. It even appears to be more economical. However, this wasn't a scientific test, so for the benefit of my imagination, and the forum, I will re-fill and conduct some in-gear tests.

Then, later in the week when I need fuel again, I'll re-fill with regular and we can compare the figures - this is the only way I'll KNOW there is a difference.

Offline Nimrod

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2003, 14:01 »
I agree.  I think that because I want to notice a big improvement, I will probably convince myself that there is even if there isn't any.  Only cold, hard figures will reveal any performance increase, rather than me just trying to 'feel' if it's doing the trick!