Author Topic: Campaign blues  (Read 1608 times)

Offline edjay

• Not said much yet
Campaign blues
« on: 01 February 2003, 15:16 »
I recently picked up a silver mk1 campaign for ?500. Bodywork needs a bit of attention but otherwise ok. It runs ok but every few miles it cuts out & spits. When I brought the car I noticed the fuel filler pipe was slightly corroded but not enough to cause a hole. I've had this problem before on a previous mk1 acquisition where the fuel system was slowly written off by dragging all the rust & sh!te through the fuel pipes. Although the symptons were similair they,re not identical........any ideas ??? :-/
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline harr1s

• Not said much yet
  • mk1 caddy and mk2 gti owner
Re: Campaign blues
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2003, 15:57 »

has your mk1 got a inline feul filter on the incoming feul line it should be above or beside the left suspension  strut as you look at the enginge if not you could fit one to the incoming feul line, you can get clear ones from somewhere like halfords there not very expensive and once fitted you should be able to tell if the crap from your tank is being draged up to your engine as your filter will have crap in it

Harr1s..........
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Campaign blues
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2003, 19:46 »
GSF do a replacement filler neck for ?28. I had to replace one once for the same reason. Don't want to risk damaging those expensive ?fuel system components. Might be worth cleaning and flushing through the tank. New filter would be a good idea too.
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »