Author Topic: Oil Pressure problem  (Read 2918 times)

Offline mike k

• Not said much yet
Oil Pressure problem
« on: 22 July 2012, 13:33 »
Has anyone an idea why this has started to happen...............my oil pressure warning buzzer comes on at just 2000 revs. At anything up to that its fine................
The cars been off the road for a while and Ive done some work on the dash, changed speedo, switches etc and i didnt have the problem before.
Any idea's

Offline mike k

• Not said much yet
Re: Oil Pressure problem
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2012, 18:25 »
Just noticed that when you put the ignition on that the ignition light comes on but the oil pressure light doesnt...but it come on at just over 2000rpm................................

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2012, 10:25 »
Just noticed that when you put the ignition on that the ignition light comes on but the oil pressure light doesnt...but it come on at just over 2000rpm................................

My first suggestion is to always check all the earths are in by the fusebox.  Have you changed the clocks?

Offline mike k

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2012, 00:13 »
Yes I put another set of clocks in. But also noticed that there is only one oil pressure switch and thats on the end of the head. Theres just a blanking plug in the top of the oil pump/oil filter. What gauge is what? is the one that should be by the oil filter the high pressure switch and the one in the head the low pressure switch?
And I see from the diagram that there should be a yellow wire that should be an "oil wire" that goes to the clocks plug. I dont have one????
Do you know what colour wires come from the plug for both oil pressure switches?
Cheers

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2012, 18:48 »

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2012, 22:03 »
Run a mechanical type oil pressure gauge from the side of the head and check the pressure.

Offline razla

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2012, 21:17 »
Has anyone an idea why this has started to happen...............my oil pressure warning buzzer comes on at just 2000 revs. At anything up to that its fine................
The cars been off the road for a while and Ive done some work on the dash, changed speedo, switches etc and i didnt have the problem before.
Any idea's

Is that what that noise is?!

I just bought my Mk1 last night and on the way to work this morning I nailed it for a couple of seconds and there was an almighty buzzing/whirring noise from the dash, I nearly shat  :undecided:

Is the oil pressure light the one with the oil can above it? as mine is flickering randomly.

Cheers, Andy.

Villa in Orlando, Florida, 10 mins from Disney! Pm me.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2012, 00:44 »
Any idea's

I just bought my Mk1 last night and on the way to work this morning I nailed it for a couple of seconds and there was an almighty buzzing/whirring noise from the dash, I nearly shat  :undecided:

Is the oil pressure light the one with the oil can above it? as mine is flickering randomly.

Cheers, Andy.

That's the one mate... Light should go out and stay out once the car has been started, if it flickers, it's either a)  low oil pressure or b) Bad earth... There's a very strong chance of the latter.

Oh and silly question, with the engine cold, you have checked the oil is full?

Offline razla

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2012, 06:09 »
Any idea's

Cheers, Andy.

That's the one mate... Light should go out and stay out once the car has been started, if it flickers, it's either a)  low oil pressure or b) Bad earth... There's a very strong chance of the latter.

Oh and silly question, with the engine cold, you have checked the oil is full?

Oil level is fine mate, I suspected the earths too as there a few other things like brake lights and indicators coming on together when indicating. Gonna clean them all up, un block the drain holes and tackle the fuse box this weekend :smug:

Villa in Orlando, Florida, 10 mins from Disney! Pm me.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2012, 10:29 »
Nice one....

Good opportunity to check the condition of the wiring,  mine was battered by badly installed alarms and as a result ended up rewiring the whole car.

The fusebox drops down quite easily if you remove the lower dash on the N/S.  Check for bodged wiring, earths not plugged into the crowns.  While you're there you may as well check that it's not getting leaked on by the windscreen letting in water (common fault if there is rust around the windscreen seal in the corners).  Damp fusebox can cause all sorts of disco lights.. I've had the same problem.

Has it got any after market electrics fitted, alarms/immobilisers etc?