Author Topic: Oil Change  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Smith

• Not said much yet
Oil Change
« on: 16 July 2003, 07:36 »

I've just brought a Mk1 1800 gti (3 weeks ago)

I've decided I need to change the oil, but I'm not to sure what oil to put in e.g. 5/40, 20/40 etc and the quantity to put in.

Any help.

;) :)
1981 Mint, De Lorean  - For Sale ?2000    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
Re:Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2003, 14:33 »
Your in luck! As I work for Castrol I can give you some advice!

Ideally you should use a 10/40 semi synthetic oil. You can use a 15/40 which is a mineral oil but is thicker. Advantages of a 10/40 are that it stays at the same thickness even when cold resulting in less engine wear from cold and under hard driving. 1800 GTI takes 3-4 litres.

I have seen a lot of people putting fully synthetic oils in like Mobil 1. Fantastic oil but if you start using it on a engine with over 60k on it you will find it could increase oil leaks, oil consumption and make your engine rattly. This is because it is so thin and using thicker oils builds up carbon and varnishes on the engine components. A fully synthetic will wash these away.

Go for Castrol Magnatec 10/40. Top stuff.

Hope this helps!

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2003, 18:35 »
I've been using GSF's 'Synta' gold semi-synthetic for quite a few years. Seems to be a really good well priced oil.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2003, 01:06 »
Ah, maybe its not the 'Gold' then as I know it is the semi-synthetic that I use.........somewhere around ?9/?10 a gallon off the top of my head. I think the fully synthetic is nearly double that.

Synta gold is Quantum which is owned by VW. The silver is semi synthetic, and the gold is fully synthetic. From past experience the gold is the best oil for older gti's as it is not as thin as mobil 1. Using thin oil giving problems with engines that have done more than 60k??? are you sure mate?

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2003, 09:28 »
YEp I am right, I do this for a living!!!! You are right on the gold synta being a bit better as although its a synthetic like mobil 1 it is a different rating and slightly thicker. A synthetic can be made to any spec just like a semi or mineral.

With regards to Synthetic being suitable for cars of over 60k it all depends on what it has been run on in the past, if its mostly had semi then it should be fine but if its used to running with 20/50 sludge and hasnt had regular changes we dont generally reccomend it.

Interesting to hear you guys talk about buying Quantum, Do you know who makes it for VW??? YEp its good old Castrol.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2003, 09:55 by Justins145bhpMK1 »

Offline Smith

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2003, 10:56 »

Very interesting comments, I think I'll go with the Castrol Magnatec 10/40

Thanks for all your help.

:)
1981 Mint, De Lorean  - For Sale ?2000    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline kevin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2003, 01:29 »
YEp I am right, I do this for a living!!!! You are right on the gold synta being a bit better as although its a synthetic like mobil 1 it is a different rating and slightly thicker. A synthetic can be made to any spec just like a semi or mineral.

With regards to Synthetic being suitable for cars of over 60k it all depends on what it has been run on in the past, if its mostly had semi then it should be fine but if its used to running with 20/50 sludge and hasnt had regular changes we dont generally reccomend it.

Interesting to hear you guys talk about buying Quantum, Do you know who makes it for VW??? YEp its good old Castrol.
I must agree with most if not all of your comments about semi/full synyth oil ,but can't use fully after 60k some off us do that in a year!!
what i think your main point is that older engines do tend to rattle with age and are better suited to thicker oil i.e mineral or semi and vw recommend this on there older vehicles like mk1 mk2 , but only on cold start ,as these oils are thicker from cold!! so should hide rattle more ,but once your mineral oil or semi synth oil get hot it brakes down much quicker than fully synth oil so there is obviously swings and roundabouts whitch oil is more suitable, if you change your oil freqently i.e every 3000 miles or so it should not make a big difference beetween mineral or synth!!
As for castrol making synta oil thats the first i've heard of that! i'm not saying its not true , but i have worked for the biggest filter manufctures for the last 16 years and have never heard that before,
my main point is if your car rattles when cold use a thicker oil but if your engine is in good /fine health use a semi or a fully synth, but the main point is change your oil more freqently and to be honest it should not matter then what you use.
A good rule of thumb is use what vw recommends ,early cars 15/40 or even 10/40 and you won't go wrong. I find synta silver brilliant on my own dubs and would not use anything else at ?10 a gallon why pay more!!!!
regards kevin  

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2003, 10:20 »
Yep Kevin you are spot on. I was at Castrols blending plant last week and VW were there watching their Quantum barrels and packs coming off the production line so yep its true.!!!

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
  • Low Low bored out MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2003, 19:09 »
My MK1 GTI has done 140k, I use the 'Silver' Quantum from GSF 15/40, should I switch???  Thought you used that Rich...
Race ya...

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2003, 19:40 »
Hi Marcus,
Yes it is the silver that I use.