Author Topic: Has anyone ever cancelled insurance within 14 days?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Mew

• I live here
As the title, has anyone taken out a 12 month policy and then cancelled within the 14 day cancellation period for whatever reason? I'd be particularly interested if you have done it with Bell.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any hassle in doing so, and how long it took to get your money back. I can imagine they'll do everything possible to get out of giving a refund, but just want to see if anyone has any first hand experience.

Ta :smiley:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Has anyone ever cancelled insurance within 14 days?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2009, 23:52 »
Yes I did it once with esure, was quoted a price and yet when the paperwork came through it was £97 more they could not tell me why so cancelled, no hassles and ended up using them 3yrs later for another car.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2009, 20:20 »
It's what is known in the insurance trade as a "cooling off" period and is part of the regulations put forward by the FSA (who did extremely well with the banks didn't they...  :rolleyes:). Some insurers may charge for this (usually a one-off fee of about £25-£35) and I believe are quite within their rights to do so.

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2009, 16:23 »
I tried to cancel with HIC and got stitched for some cancellation charge or other - 14 day cooling off period, my ombudsman.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2009, 12:12 »
all insurers have to give you a 14 day cooling off period, if you cancel in this time its normal for them to charge a small fee which they should notify you of when you set up the policy.

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2009, 18:10 »
the FSA (who did extremely well with the banks didn't they...  :rolleyes:).
they only regulated as the government advised them to.  When labour came into power and, more importantly Gordon Brown commenced his chancellorship, they changed from rules to principles....and the horse then bolted.

Offline pirate1378

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2009, 21:09 »
i work in the insurance trade, you can cancel your insurance within 14 days
however you will be charged for time on risk (ie how long you have been insured for)
your insurance company may also claw back some money if you have been given a discount
you may also have to pay a cancellation fee
it will be in your terms and conditions, and if you did it on the phone fsa requires that these terms
will have been read out to you and that you accept them, if you did it on the internet you would have had to tick a box to say you have read and agree to these terms

Offline ryanegg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2009, 18:23 »
Canceled 2 polices after small print come thru, takes a few weeks to get the money back, some do it free, most charge a small fee.
1.8T AUM, Remap soon come!