Author Topic: Mk7 GTI: steam from engine bay  (Read 757 times)

Offline thesheep

• Just got here
Mk7 GTI: steam from engine bay
« on: 22 August 2022, 22:44 »
I'm on holiday in France with my family in our mk7 GTI, this evening noticed a fair amount of steam coming from under the bonnet at the end of our drive. There was a bit of a smell too—maybe coolant? I opened the bonnet and took this video:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GPXDmczF3ck

Engine didn't appear to have overheated, although it wasn't a very long drive, only about 15 min.

Does anyone know what the issue is and is it something that can possibly wait until we get home? We're supposed to be in France for another 4 days before we head back on the ferry—quite a few hours driving to get there.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Mk7 GTI: steam from engine bay
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2022, 08:29 »
There is a small plastic adapter at the rear of the engine next to the turbo that is known to fail, usually the O ring. If you are not loosing too much coolant just keep an eye on it and/or top up if needed.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2022, 08:48 »
Another common fail point is the water pump.

If that goes the steam will come from under the inlet manifold at the front.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2022, 10:33 »
Sorry to hear about your mishap- though imo it’s part of the fun of a touring holiday! I’ve just got back from a 2300 mile tour of Europe.

I would say if you’ve got breakdown cover, use it. If not, I would get the car properly inspected by a local mechanic- you can then decide on what to do depending on what the problem is, how far you have to go etc.

What I wouldn’t do is to risk catastrophic failure of the engine by continuing to drive long distance. There’s obviously a problem there, and it’s not like you’re nursing the car a few miles down the road to the local garage. You’ll get some technical advice from knowledgeable  forum members, but they’ll only be guessing at what the problem might be.

I arranged breakdown cover with the AA for £60 for a week. One of the questions they asked is whether I was already abroad ( when I called to arrange cover) so presumably it is possible to buy cover when you’re away? That may a an option worth looking at.

Where are you in France?
« Last Edit: 23 August 2022, 10:35 by Yusee »
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.