Author Topic: Rear Indicator Sequence  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
Rear Indicator Sequence
« on: 05 August 2022, 15:43 »
Back in December last year i bought the missus a 16 plate GTD, i did my usual checks before buying a car and it had an advisory on the MOT for an irregular indicator sequence. Went to look at the GTD and tested the indicators and it looks like it should sweep but it was alternating boot to panel, like it had 4 rear indicators. Obviously i mentioned this to the VW salesman and he looked as confused as me but said he would get the technicians to look at it. They said there was nothing untoward and we bought the car. Since i don't drive it i'd forgotten all about but today the missus gave me a lift as my TCR is in for a front end respray and it jogged the old grey matter. The MOT will be coming up in a few months and i'd like to avoid another advisory, plus personally i think it looks a bit daft. I can't find anything in the infotainment so i'm thinking the previous owner has had a play around using an OBD reader? I tried to upload a video but the Postingimages site is only for pics so you'll have to use your imagination a little lol

A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.

Offline boydeee

• Not said much yet
Re: Rear Indicator Sequence
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2022, 16:03 »
You're spot on. Someone has changed a setting via vcds or OBD2. I think that's the closest you can get the pre-facelift rear indicators to scroll dynamically like the facelift. Personally I think it looks terrible 🤣

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2022, 16:07 »
Thats what i think are called "pace car indicators" and is a coding change.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2022, 17:16 »
Thank you both for confirming, and yes i agree it looks pants! However it has confirmed that VW didn't actually look at it otherwise they'd have spotted the change?
So i'm guessing i have two options:
1. Take it back to VW and get them to change it (i won't be going to Newbury where i bought the car!).
2. Purchase a OBD reader and change it myself. Never had one before so some idiot proof recommendations would be greatly appreciated  :wink:
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2022, 17:24 »
An OBD reader will not change the Pace Car Indicators, you need Carly, OBDEleven or a VCDS cable (or know someone local that has one) and also need it long coding out and not the App as you do not know how it has been done.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2022, 19:52 »
I think you can also buy a plug in adaptor that does it too. Might be worth having a quick look at the back of the light units to see if something has obviously been added.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2022, 22:17 »
An OBD reader will not change the Pace Car Indicators, you need Carly, OBDEleven or a VCDS cable (or know someone local that has one) and also need it long coding out and not the App as you do not know how it has been done.
Having never seen or used any of what you've just mentioned it's like a whole new language to me, i have heard them mentioned but stupidly thought it was just a case of plugging in said device and looking at indicator options  :grin:
I think you can also buy a plug in adaptor that does it too. Might be worth having a quick look at the back of the light units to see if something has obviously been added.

I'll have a rummage around and see if i can see anything the looks out of the ordinary.

I've just watched a couple of videos where people have done it on OBDEleven and VCDS, i don't know the cost of either of them but i don't see the point in me buying something that i'll only use once as i have no desire to tinker around with the software. I'm more pissed at VW for blatantly selling me a car that had an MOT advisory for a software modification that they should be able to quickly rectify, so i will be paying them a visit! 

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2022, 22:50 »
Not sure Vw would know how to switch that off, I’m just outside the m25 on the A1 if your close you can plug in one of mine

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2022, 11:37 »
Yes have them on mine for s few years, £9.99 from Wish

https://imgur.com/7J3eauZ