Author Topic: Next car purchase following Mk7/7.5?  (Read 11103 times)

Offline Meister

• Not said much yet
  • 2018 GTI - Pure White
Next car purchase following Mk7/7.5?
« on: 17 July 2022, 19:18 »
I have had my 2018 mk7.5 gti for nearly 3 years now and used to only keep my cars for 18 months. Whilst I ADORE my current car, I normally have a plan of action for my next car...

However, looking at options, I cannot fathom what on earth I will do next. I would ordinarily get a newer GTI, but here is my thinking;

- Mk 8 gti - ugly (in my opinion), awful interior - immediately ruled out
- Mk 7.5 gti tcr - currently my top option, but this will be my third mk7.5 gti and could be a bit samey (although brilliant!)
- Audi tt - don't really like audis, but tt looks good, particularly TTS. However, crazily expensive - ruled out
- Mercedes - UGLY UGLY UGLY, won't entertain at any cost. Overly expensive too.
- Skoda - Although good, it is a step down
- Seat /Cupra - See Skoda
- BMW - UGLY AS SIN and never liked them anyway. Overly expensive too.
- Porsche - love Caymans, but crazyyyy expensive! Would get a lot less and older compared to current 7.5 gti.

I am left with absolutely nowhere to go and am genuinely intrigued what people are buying next and indeed what experiences and comparisons are compared to previous 7.5 ownership.

What are you buying!? :)
NOW - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI, Manual- Pure White
GONE - 2015 Mk7 GTD, Manual - Tungsten
GONE - 2014 Scirocco GTS 2.0TDI - Salsa Red
GONE - 2012 Scirocco 2.0TDI - Black
GONE - 2009 Mk6 GTI - Tornado Red
GONE - 2008 Mk5 GtTDI - Reflex Silver
GONE - 1991 Corrado 1.8 16v - Dark Green
GONE - 1989 Jetta 1.8 'Show condition' - Red

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Next car purchase following Mk7/7.5?
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2022, 20:04 »
The TCR is great, very different in many details, the engine is superb yet of course has the same great basics. Find one and get a good test drive.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline boardlord

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2022, 20:09 »
I had the same issue, sold our 7.5 in June 21 due to the silly offers we were getting, bought a run about and finally decided what to order in Nov 21, with many of the same concerns you have...

Was torn between a MK8 Clubsport GTI (may have been the 45 can't remember) and an S3....

Test drove a GTI on the Fri and went to Audi on Sat to test the S3, long story but couldnt take there demo out so ended up taking there RS3 out !!!!

They played that hand well, just a shame we our still waiting for a confirmed build date 8 months down the line for a car we never set out to buy LOL

2019 MK7.5 GTi PP, 3dr, DSG, Indium Grey, Heated screen, Pan roof, 90% tints.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2022, 20:14 »
No plans to swap at the moment even though I've kept the current car far longer than originally intended.

If I were to swap I'd probably go and look at a Cupra Born / Leon / Formentor, before probably ending up with another Golf.
7.5 GTD

Offline Meister

• Not said much yet
  • 2018 GTI - Pure White
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2022, 20:39 »
The TCR is great, very different in many details, the engine is superb yet of course has the same great basics. Find one and get a good test drive.

Thanks for this. Probably will end up with a TCR and plan to test drive soon. Seems ludicrous putting over £10,000 additional money into a car that is barely a year newer than mine though and although better in many ways, broadly exactly the same! :)

Offline Meister

• Not said much yet
  • 2018 GTI - Pure White
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2022, 20:43 »
I had the same issue, sold our 7.5 in June 21 due to the silly offers we were getting, bought a run about and finally decided what to order in Nov 21, with many of the same concerns you have...

Was torn between a MK8 Clubsport GTI (may have been the 45 can't remember) and an S3....

Test drove a GTI on the Fri and went to Audi on Sat to test the S3, long story but couldnt take there demo out so ended up taking there RS3 out !!!!

They played that hand well, just a shame we our still waiting for a confirmed build date 8 months down the line for a car we never set out to buy LOL

Yes never ever had this issue before! There appears to be literally nothing that I would want! And that is for any money really. Most new cars seem to have worse styling and quality than predecessors. RS3 clearly are great cars, but really not convinced with the styling, especially all that weird black plastic on front and rear bumpers. Crazy crazy money too for some reason - could buy three good 7.5 gtis for the same money, and still have change!

Also, re: the mk8 GTI, interested to hear your opinions when you viewed and test drove... I sat in one in a showroom and was actually disgusted at the sheer poor quality of the interior, lack of things present on the 7.5 and gawky exterior (all my opinion of course haha).
« Last Edit: 17 July 2022, 20:54 by Meister »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2022, 21:19 »

Thanks for this. Probably will end up with a TCR and plan to test drive soon. Seems ludicrous putting over £10,000 additional money into a car that is barely a year newer than mine though and although better in many ways, broadly exactly the same! :)

Admittedly when I changed there was 4 years difference in age but even so, putting £17k into what was basically the same kind of car for a tight ar$e like me was a big decision. The only thing I miss is the manual box. Otherwise, the TCR is a very different car. The seat material is better, the exterior styling is more dramatic without being too extreme, the exhaust note is perfect, deep without being excessive. The engine is a masterpiece, it pulls then pulls more then really goes for it. That was what got me out of the PP, the lack of puff at the top even though going there is not that often but when you are going for it, the IS20 turbo just doesn't do it.

If you do look at a TCR, a basic one will do all that is needed, I'm not convinced by DCC so that is not essential. Likewise the performance versions, apart from the wheels and DCC, you get 5mm lower suspension and an unlimited top speed but 155mph is enough..
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2022, 21:43 »
I had similar views to you. Reassuring for me. I looked at a Mk8 GTI and didn’t like it. I had looked at and was seriously considering an A3, an S3 or a 128ti / 135. Three weeks later I went back to VW, looked at a GTI and bought it. Four weeks on and I am content with my decision. The interior is different but I have adjusted and I have grasped enough of its functions that I can do what I need to do. The handling is very sure footed  and the  looks have grown on me. Keep the faith!
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Meister

• Not said much yet
  • 2018 GTI - Pure White
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2022, 21:54 »

Admittedly when I changed there was 4 years difference in age but even so, putting £17k into what was basically the same kind of car for a tight ar$e like me was a big decision. The only thing I miss is the manual box. Otherwise, the TCR is a very different car. The seat material is better, the exterior styling is more dramatic without being too extreme, the exhaust note is perfect, deep without being excessive. The engine is a masterpiece, it pulls then pulls more then really goes for it. That was what got me out of the PP, the lack of puff at the top even though going there is not that often but when you are going for it, the IS20 turbo just doesn't do it.

If you do look at a TCR, a basic one will do all that is needed, I'm not convinced by DCC so that is not essential. Likewise the performance versions, apart from the wheels and DCC, you get 5mm lower suspension and an unlimited top speed but 155mph is enough..

Thank you! All very useful information and I think it boils down to driving one. However good the TCR is though, I simply cannot fathom putting over 10k to a car that is between 6 months and a year newer! My GTI is not a PP, instead the 230bhp version, but I am fully content with this power output and adore the handling and manual gearbox.

Again, I think I am going to have to wait and keep mine another year or two to see how the prices are on the TCR, with hopefully a smaller differential to change.

Offline Meister

• Not said much yet
  • 2018 GTI - Pure White
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2022, 21:57 »
I had similar views to you. Reassuring for me. I looked at a Mk8 GTI and didn’t like it. I had looked at and was seriously considering an A3, an S3 or a 128ti / 135. Three weeks later I went back to VW, looked at a GTI and bought it. Four weeks on and I am content with my decision. The interior is different but I have adjusted and I have grasped enough of its functions that I can do what I need to do. The handling is very sure footed  and the  looks have grown on me. Keep the faith!

Thanks for this and I really do want to keep with VW, as they are the only car brand I identify with to be honest. Although I just cannot agree with the cost cutting and interior on the MK8. The interior, comfort, quality and ergonomics are the very best features of my mk7.5, and I feel they are now the absolute worst unfortunately. Very interested to hear your view on differences from an ownership perspective though, as I really do want to like it! :)