Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2791333 times)

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11660 on: 30 August 2021, 13:26 »
I tried to de chrome my grill as I do not like chrome trim at all,I bought some black decals,but they got wet and wouldn’t adhere proper,so I had to bin them.
It would’ve interrupted the flow of the chrome into the headlights,but I could’ve lived with that.
The grill and headlights are the only exterior chrome left on the car,I have blacked everything else-front,rear emblems,grill badge and the wing badges.

Offline SionOnTheCob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11661 on: 30 August 2021, 17:35 »
Had a day out with the kids, I couldn't resist taking a few pics  :grin:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11662 on: 31 August 2021, 16:32 »
Today was wash day. And a bit. So after washing was a de-tar and iron fallout stage followed by another wash and a going over with my clay mitt. Two coats of different waxes and a sealent on all glass and plastics. The wheels were washed a few days ago so didn't get much attention but they will get a good decontamination soon followed by a couple of coats of Gtechniq C5. At some point the glass will get polished too.

Not great light today to show off the Oryx pearlescence.

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11663 on: 31 August 2021, 19:04 »
Today was wash day. And a bit. So after washing was a de-tar and iron fallout stage followed by another wash and a going over with my clay mitt. Two coats of different waxes and a sealent on all glass and plastics. The wheels were washed a few days ago so didn't get much attention but they will get a good decontamination soon followed by a couple of coats of Gtechniq C5. At some point the glass will get polished too.

Not great light today to show off the Oryx pearlescence.

Good effort @Watts. Washed my car last week and the first time I took it out after washing it rained :angry:. So it’s just as dirty again now as it was before I washed it!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11664 on: 31 August 2021, 19:18 »
Good effort @Watts. Washed my car last week and the first time I took it out after washing it rained :angry:. So it’s just as dirty again now as it was before I washed it!

Cheers SR. Typical weather! There were a few spots of rain this morning but it held off in the end. My main problem now is the tree in my garden has got just big enough now to drop cr@p all down one side of the car :angry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11665 on: 07 September 2021, 02:06 »
Why on earth would you de-chrome it!? Spoils the look and 'flow' of the chrome inside the headlights across the front. Each to their own! :)

Personally I love how it turned out, makes it look so much more aggressive! If I didn’t have a blacked badge then I definitely would’ve left it chrome but I think coupled with the badge and the splitter it works extremely well. Never really been a fan of chrome

I tried to de chrome my grill as I do not like chrome trim at all,I bought some black decals,but they got wet and wouldn’t adhere proper,so I had to bin them.
It would’ve interrupted the flow of the chrome into the headlights,but I could’ve lived with that.
The grill and headlights are the only exterior chrome left on the car,I have blacked everything else-front,rear emblems,grill badge and the wing badges.

I tried the same thing and failed. Found it much easier to just remove it, mask it up using tape, paper, and a Stanley knife around the edges and then paint gloss black
2018 Indium Grey MK7.5 GTi (Manual), 19" Brescia

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11666 on: 07 September 2021, 02:12 »
I fitted door welcome/exit lights on the front doors (SO long winded) and footwell lights that are in the front and rear. I’ve got 30 colour instrument colours coded in so it’s nice to match the footwells to the colours shown on the MIB and the digital dash.

Driving at night is amazing now :grin:

« Last Edit: 07 September 2021, 02:14 by zainahmed48 »
2018 Indium Grey MK7.5 GTi (Manual), 19" Brescia

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11667 on: 08 September 2021, 15:01 »
A quick dash there (yesterday) and back today to see my mum in Norfolk, a 290 mile round trip. I was intending to stay longer but my back had different ideas. What with the warm weather and steady traffic, 45 mpg there and amazingly 47.5 back today! It briefly hit 48 but local traffic killed off a bit. I thought it could do it but to see it on a 290PS car, amazing! Although I'd have happily traded a few mpg for fewer ditherers and tractors....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #11668 on: 08 September 2021, 16:22 »
A quick dash there (yesterday) and back today to see my mum in Norfolk, a 290 mile round trip. I was intending to stay longer but my back had different ideas. What with the warm weather and steady traffic, 45 mpg there and amazingly 47.5 back today! It briefly hit 48 but local traffic killed off a bit. I thought it could do it but to see it on a 290PS car, amazing! Although I'd have happily traded a few mpg for fewer ditherers and tractors....

That's absolutely insane. I've never seen more than 41 out of my Mk7.5 PP

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11669 on: 08 September 2021, 16:25 »
Wow, 47.5 is crazy good.

I did my first long trip to see a friend in Birmingham the other week and got 40. Which was great considering I wasn't hanging around and got stuck in a lot of roadworks.

My previous A4 wouldn't have managed 30.