Author Topic: Ye Olde Cutting Out problem...(or maybe not now)  (Read 1280 times)

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
  • mk3 VR6...FEEL THE GRUNT.
Re: Ye Olde Cutting Out problem...
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2008, 14:26 »
Just been researching my problem again. Found out the EGR causes this sort of problem. Where abouts is it?

Think by egr valve you mean pcv valve..? thats located on top of your engine head in a square black box.

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2008, 14:29 »
Yeah i have had a clean of the MAF. I even took the two sensors out to have a look at them. Looked clean to me.

Just thinking about the EGR, I had put some injector cleaner and some (cant remember the name now) suff through the fuel. Unless this has blocked something. But then again, its just at that temperature, and have been to london and back since then.

The first sign of it stopping was very very erratic revs going down the motorway doing 85. It is the strangest thing i have seen in it. Not sure what was causing that, but it is definately related

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2008, 14:30 »
I thought it was that. Just the cover just come off when you undo the two screws?

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2008, 14:54 »
Should do, remove it and squirt some carb cleaner through it. Reaplced your fuel filter recently..?

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2008, 14:59 »
Nope. That thought had crossed my mind, but i would think that its would always struggle, not just stall like you have switched it off.

I will give that bit a clean tho

Offline admc6

• I live here
Re: Ye Olde Cutting Out problem... (or maybe not now)
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2008, 15:11 »
Good news. I have found an issue with the car.

Yesterday i cleaned the pcv? pipes that run from the bottom of then engine block and up back into the air intake. They looked a bit gungy. I had no change, but did run better.

Then today i have been thinking it through and decided to run my vag com on it. If you looked at all the measuring blocks, everything ran within the right specifications.
I then checked to see if there was any problems with the ignition system. There seemed to be power to and from the coil and was running fine again.
Car then cut out, as per normal, so decided to look and see if i was getting a spark. Found out i wasnt. I then re-checked the power into the coil and it was still there.
With having new leads, distributor cap and rotor arm i think there is a problem within the coil.

I am going to give it a go as soon as i can get one. Will let you know if it works

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
Re: Ye Olde Cutting Out problem...(or maybe not now)
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2008, 16:32 »
If you can get a second hand one to try before you buy a new one then give it a shot, keep us informed. :smiley:

Offline admc6

• I live here
Re: Ye Olde Cutting Out problem...(or maybe not now)
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2008, 16:46 »
I have a friend who works for a garage and he can order it in, then i can test it and itf its not that i can just send it back  :laugh: