Author Topic: Media Interface query on RCD310  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
Media Interface query on RCD310
« on: 16 October 2012, 19:38 »
Apologies if this has been covered before, (or if I can get an answer from the manual, but that's no fun!...)

I've been wanting for ages to have a device I could plug my iPod or Phone or a Memory Stick into to play music...saves all the faffing around with CDs.  I tried my Phone using the USB adapter and it read the folders nicely and would play my music without issue.  When I selected "Mix" it shuffled my music completely randomly, which was great.

However, I decided to fill an 8Gb memory stick with tunes, as it's more convenient and I can just leave it in the car all the time.  So I spent ages creating folders on the stick for various music types, and stuck several dozen albums into their places.  The intention was I could select the top-level folder and randomise everything, or drill down into the "Rock" folder for example, and random-play that.  Or go right down to an album if I wanted to just play that.

But it doesn't seem to work...it'll only play a single bottom-level folder and randomise the songs in that folder.  Does anyone know if this is how it's meant to be?  If so I'll just put all my songs into a single "genre" folder...no big deal.

Ta.
2009 Golf GTD in Pearlescent Black.

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
Re: Media Interface query on RCD310
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2012, 19:49 »
Buy an iPod, much easier?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2012, 20:24 »
AFAIK if you have several albums and select mix in that it will only play mix from that album. If you want to mix from the whole of your music collection you need at least one song not in a folder (in the root)
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2012, 21:10 »
AFAIK if you have several albums and select mix in that it will only play mix from that album. If you want to mix from the whole of your music collection you need at least one song not in a folder (in the root)

I'll x2 that.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2012, 21:29 »
Thanks for the replies, I'll give that a try.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2012, 08:20 »
That's odd, because my old (blue lit) RCD310 had the option to "Mix" or "Mix All" and would work as you would expect it to.

When I got my RCD510, I found it didn't have the "Mix All" function, so had to save one track as a separate file and select that first before being able to random mix.

Quote from: Ginge 35Editionlink=topic=242459.msg2231534#msg2231534 date=1350413369
Buy an iPod, much easier?

But a 16GB stick costs £6 and an ipod is???
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2012, 18:30 »
It definitely seems somewhat random with a small memory stick, and I'm even finding it'll start okay, play okay, but then if I try to browse up a folder on the stick it'll show "Reading..." for about a minute, during which time I can't do anything other than change to Radio or power it off.  Occasionally it'll fail to read the memory stick, so I just unplug it and plug it in again.  Not ideal really...probably a duff stick.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2012, 19:09 »
I've never had any issues with my music on a memory stick. I guess just copy all your files over onto another one and give that a go.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2012, 20:27 »
Still no luck with the memory stick, so have got hold of an old iPod Nano.  Now, connecting using the MDI interface it plays everything, but all tracks in one "folder".  If I get an Aux cable will it mean I can control the tracks using the iPod itself, so that I can chose Playlists and what-not?

Ta.

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2012, 20:37 »
Still no luck with the memory stick, so have got hold of an old iPod Nano.  Now, connecting using the MDI interface it plays everything, but all tracks in one "folder".  If I get an Aux cable will it mean I can control the tracks using the iPod itself, so that I can chose Playlists and what-not?

Ta.

Yes.