Author Topic: Engine warmer?  (Read 9441 times)

Offline AdrianM

• Not said much yet
Engine warmer?
« on: 03 November 2009, 09:16 »
Not sure how many people would have this on the forum considering most of you are living in the UK which generally has very mild winters, but in Norway it gets freaking cold sometimes.

Any suggestions and recommendations?

My local dealer has an £800 offer on a Defa Warm-up system that comes with a built in engine warmer, cabin warmer, battery charger and remote with a free installation offer.

Offline Freakinsweet

• Not said much yet
Re: Engine warmer?
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2009, 17:22 »
Not sure how many people would have this on the forum considering most of you are living in the UK which generally has very mild winters, but in Norway it gets freaking cold sometimes.

Any suggestions and recommendations?

My local dealer has an £800 offer on a Defa Warm-up system that comes with a built in engine warmer, cabin warmer, battery charger and remote with a free installation offer.

I ordered it for my new car. The dealer quoted ~5000SEK which would be roughly £427. Mine does not include the battery charger and remote, just the block and cabin heater + everything that I need to plug it in over night. Overall, the price you got quoted sounds reasonable to me.
Golf VI GTi DSG

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2009, 19:56 »
How cold does it actually get with you guys, in winter mornings?  The coldest I've noticed here in the past couple of years was -10C.

Rolfe.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2009, 20:06 »
any links to these kits??  I would defo be interested :smiley:

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2009, 20:22 »
How cold does it actually get with you guys, in winter mornings?  The coldest I've noticed here in the past couple of years was -10C.

Rolfe.

I think it got to -18 in Glasgow around 10 years ago. The river that ran through our garden had actually frozen for the first time ever!!!
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Freakinsweet

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2009, 20:23 »
Depends where in Sweden you live. Anything between -35c to +10c in the winter. I live in the middle and temps average around -7c on a normal winter morning.
I usually plug my car in whenever the temperature drops below +10c. Let it run for a couple of hours and you have a nice warm engine and cabin.

Don´t know if you have retailers in the UK selling DEFA products but more information can be found here: http://wup.defa.com/en/wup_products_preheaters.html
Golf VI GTi DSG

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2009, 21:09 »
In 1985 when we built our own house in Spean Bridge the temperature during January got down to -25 our new central heating system was on its knees waving a white flag and we all spent 3 days with our clothes over our pyjamas to try and keep warm.

Even the River Spean froze for 2 weeks and that was almost unheard of.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2009, 00:43 »

Rolfe.

I think it got to -18 in Glasgow around 10 years ago. The river that ran through our garden had actually frozen for the first time ever!!!

Well, we're a good 750 feet above Glasgow here, and we tend to get it that bit colder. But not exactly Scandinavian cold.

It does sound as if the Scandinavians are applying the science at temperatures we'd just swear at and scrape the windscreen, though.

Rolfe.

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2009, 10:17 »
The UK is not very well equipped for 'extremes'.

Drivers in Russia can get to work in -25c and ten feet of snow but UK motorways grind to a halt with half a centimetre of slush!

For £427 I would deffo consider a warm car on a winter morning, though  :laugh:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2009, 10:22 »
I just set my Mrs alarm clock half an hour earlier and she has the car running, defrosted and roasting inside  :grin:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14