Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 653219 times)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #1900 on: 21 September 2014, 17:29 »
bought one  :shocked: :huh: :whistle:

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #1901 on: 21 September 2014, 18:35 »
I did this... want an engine cover to mod to fit tho

Chech wigits threads, sure he fitted one after an intake?

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1902 on: 21 September 2014, 19:13 »
Krytox hadn't stopped mine creaking. :embarrassed:
 It may stop the drip that sometimes comes onto the elec window controls in downpour of rain I hope so hope time and money not wasted.
 It is definitely the doors as I got chauffeured round listening to were the noise was coming from.
So white greesed the catches, hinges, door lock mechanism. Little better.

I can remember reading somewere at one point someone not sure who it was said wax the paint were the felt sits inside the door frame. Tried that with collenite  wax its a little better. Anyone recomend a better wax for this area?
« Last Edit: 21 September 2014, 19:18 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1903 on: 21 September 2014, 19:19 »
Clipped a kerb....again  :embarrassed:  I no longer care  :grin:
Mother has done the same only been done for 3 weeks, I'm now on the look for so Ed35 alloys or a big rubber ring to go round the whole car ....

Thought you were never letting her drive it again  :wink:

bought one  :shocked: :huh: :whistle:

Pics or it's not true  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1904 on: 21 September 2014, 19:26 »
 It may stop the drip that sometimes comes onto the elec window controls in downpour of rain I hope so hope time and money not wasted.
 It is definitely the doors as I got chauffeured round listening to were the noise was coming from.

I can remember reading somewere at one point someone not sure who it was said wax the paint were the felt sits inside the door frame. Tried that with collenite  wax its a little better. Anyone recomend a better wax for this area?

I said that about the wax snoopy, but that was more to do with stopping rain sitting on roof from running into car when you open the doors.  I always wax that bit and it worked great for the rain issue but didn't resolve the noisy seals in the long term.  Krytox however did work.  I used it on both the rubber and the felt part.  Applied it sparingly with fingers.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2014, 19:28 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1905 on: 21 September 2014, 19:28 »
Thank you. Will gi give it another go.  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1906 on: 21 September 2014, 20:06 »
^
Make sure you oil it under the felt part where it is folded over the rubber, failing that the door needs adjustment to make fit properly (something heir fritz should have done at the factory) so try getting it under warranty.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #1907 on: 21 September 2014, 20:07 »
Clipped a kerb....again  :embarrassed:  I no longer care  :grin:
Mother has done the same only been done for 3 weeks, I'm now on the look for so Ed35 alloys or a big rubber ring to go round the whole car ....

Thought you were never letting her drive it again  :wink:

she only moved it off the drive and managed to hit the wall, it was my fault for parking it wrong ... obviously ... :angry:

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #1908 on: 21 September 2014, 21:14 »

I said that about the wax snoopy, but that was more to do with stopping rain sitting on roof from running into car when you open the doors.  I always wax that bit and it worked great for the rain issue but didn't resolve the noisy seals in the long term.  Krytox however did work.  I used it on both the rubber and the felt part.  Applied it sparingly with fingers.

I also said about waxing the door jams, always worked for me, i used dodo juice wax which lasted 5-6 weeks before needing to be re applied, if you press at the top of the rear door so it flexes in and out you'll hear the creak.

The Krytox may well be a more permanent fix though.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2014, 21:16 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
« Reply #1909 on: 21 September 2014, 22:33 »
This weekend saw a long overdue clean... Due to other commitments and it being to sunny to wash a black car, or is it just me that struggles with washing a black car in direct sun light?

Anyway, washed, a layer of black hole, sealant and some wax has got it looking great again. It is now garaged till next Friday when we head down to Kent to visit family. Good job it is clean as we will be based around the Canterbury area, god forbid I would cross paths with Booth with a dirty car  :wink:
35 Edition | Deep Black Pearl | DSG | RNS510 | Leather | 19" Glendales | Lux & winter pack | F&R PDS + rear camera | Xenon & LED F&R
Michelin Pilot Super Sports PS4 | Stage 1