Author Topic: MK1 Rear Disc Conv'  (Read 1956 times)

Offline 56 ragtop

• Not said much yet
MK1 Rear Disc Conv'
« on: 23 November 2003, 14:49 »
Ive located a couple of 8v mk2 golfs with rear discs in my local scrappy. Are these suitable for a transplant onto my mk1 and if so what do i need? I presume its everything fron the stub axle outwards? Also which handbrake cables do i use? Mk2 scirocco?? Thanks :)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re:MK1 Rear Disc Conv'
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2003, 14:58 »
I kept all my Mk2 rear discs brake parts with a view to fitting them to my cabrio.
Trouble is I was advised not to fit them as they are very unreliable.
I was going to fit them mainly because rear discs look better than drums........comments anyone?

Offline blakheet

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2003, 15:06 »
Rich, i agree they will clearly look better, however i have read more than once that the difference in stopping power is negligible. So the question is, are the looks worth the hassle.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2003, 15:43 »
I believe they also had problems with the handbrake mechanism siezing up.......especially during the winter months........

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2003, 17:44 »
Keep the drums, the discs rot away, calipers and h/brake mechanism sieze every year :(.
The drums are all you need on a mk1, the only advantage with the discs on the back is looks and pub cred points ;).
Steve.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2003, 17:56 »
Thats what I thought and why I haven't done it.......cheers Steve.
I might still consider it for the looks as my car is off the road over the winter months and is only used for fun and shows during the summer. This means it VERY rarely suffers the weather and salt that can cause such problems............

Offline 56 ragtop

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2003, 23:29 »
Im running ATS Cups so its not for looks that im thinking of fitting them, coz you wont see them. Im running a 2.0 16v on 45's, head, cams, blah, blah......So i was figuring that a horsepower hike would benefit from a brakepower hike. Does the rear disc set up really make such little difference?? I was thinking 'good enough for vw etc etc' but if its gonna be no better than properly set up drums i wont bother. Any other comments please.......

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2003, 19:08 »
Spend your money on the front brakes, most of the stopping force is from the front brakes. Get a set of Willwood calipers and discs or similar. Have driven a car with them on and the stopping power is  :o.
Steve.

Offline Helios_Blue_Valver

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2003, 12:19 »
I believe they also had problems with the handbrake mechanism siezing up.......especially during the winter months........

If you are doing the mod anyway just use MK3 calipers in place of the MK2 ones. Stops the H/brake siezing. Use the 256mm 16v brakes up front. I also use BBT drilled and slotted discs all around with EBC green stuff pads. stops on a 5p. :)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2003, 12:43 »
I wondered if I might be able to use the Mk3 calipers after reading another thread about early/late Mk2 and Mk3 calipers. Looks like that's the way to go.........